My touring/studio rig over the years...

Share pictures of your racks and pedalboards featuring Voodoo Lab products.
Ty Gerhardt

My touring/studio rig over the years...

Post by Ty Gerhardt »

When I left my old band and joined the band I'm in now a few years ago, I started out with a rack/pedal system that I wired up (see below).

As a point of interest, I actually hand built the cables in my rack from scratch using 12 gauge solid core copper wire that I twisted by hand, wrapped in aluminum foil for shielding, shrink tubed for added insulation, and used epoxy between the contacts as a strain relief. Not only was the tone just plain awesome, it allowed me to bend the cable at right angles (as you can see above) for a really clean setup...and of course it was way less expensive and sounded as good as or better than most boutique solid core cables.

Anyway, the rack rig was great for my previous band as I didn't change my settings very often, but with my new band, I was changing my settings a lot more and doing more sonic exploration and digging around in the back of my rack, regardless of how tidy the wiring, was sort of a hassle, so I decided it was time to move back to a pedalboard setup, but I still needed the flexibility that the rack rig offer me.

My solution was to build the board below. I've been lugging this monster around to shows and recording sessions for the last year or so. It's performed flawlessly and did everything I needed it to do to reproduce our recordings live, but it's big...TOO big...but at the time the M-9 wasn't even on the radar.

So once the M-9 came out, I knew it was time to replace the M-13 and downsize my board. I also picked up a TC Electronic Nova Drive (to replace my Timmy and Xotic BB Preamp), a Blackout Effectors Twosome fuzz (to replace my Skreddy Top Fuel and give me two fuzz tones on one board) and a Musicom Lab MIDI loop switcher (to replace the Ground Control and the modified Voodoo Lab Pedal Switchers).

In fact not only is my board smaller, it gives me even more tonal options than I had before. I haven't wired it up yet (that I'll do this weekend) but here's the layout. The final signal path is as follows (all in the Musicom Lab MIDI loop switcher)...

Keeley Comp => Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz => TC Electronic Nova Drive => Keeley Katana Clean Boost => Xotic AC Booster => EHX Worm => Eventide TimeFactor => Line 6 M-9

The outputs of the M-9 and the TimeFactor are run into my RJM Micro Mixer instead of the loop "return" on the Musicom Lab switcher which allows my delays and reverbs to trail off naturally when their loop inputs are bypassed...it also allows me to run my signal in stereo.

Ty Gerhardt

Re: My touring/studio rig over the years...

Post by Ty Gerhardt »

And now for the amps...(this is my current collection)

...and I also have a pair of these that I run in stereo.

Last edited by Ty Gerhardt on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Gerhardt

Post by Ty Gerhardt »

...and finally...the guitars (also my current collection)...

Ty Gerhardt

Post by Ty Gerhardt »

Just a quick update...here's the finished product all wired up and ready to rock. Everything is wired up with George L cable that I soldered Switchcraft plugs to. I used the Switchcraft mini plugs with the half sized barrel and two different right angle versions. The setup just works great...easy to lug around...easy to tweak and easy to upgrade should I get the itch to swap something out.

Benguitar

Post by Benguitar »

:shock: :o

You have AMAZING cable organization skills!

And you're running a GT-PRO :D

Awesome setup!

captainkiwi

Post by captainkiwi »

I'm very impressed.

I'm currently using an M13 setup along with some pedals and was looking into putting my pedals in a rack, the m13 in a rack and using the liquid-foot pro. Do you feel you can get as much out of the M9 and the Musicomlab together?

Obviously the ability to change scenes, turn effects on and off via CC commands. This is all able to be done? I'm very new to setting up a MIDI rig and would rather have a more manageable pedalboard (much like you have) than have to deal about working with a rack, especially for fly gigs.

Thanks a lot.
-griff

Ty Gerhardt

Post by Ty Gerhardt »

Just updated my rig pics with some new additions to my amp and guitar collection. We just bought a new house...a 3000 square foot live/work space that I'm in the process of building in a professional recording studio in. My guitar amps are in a very small section of that studio space...

Here's some close up pics of the amps by brand...

My bass rig...

...and the guitars...