Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
JohnClark

Re: Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by JohnClark »

Loride wrote:I have the original pedal power 2 (not a plus) and I want to power a Strymon Mobius. I have a doubler that was running my MXR EVH Flanger that required 18V. Is there a different cable for current doubling or are they the same? I found a cable on eBay and it says it does both (current or voltage doubling). See link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/282123340082

How does the pedal power 2 know how to increase either voltage or current? Does the the pedal just draw what it needs?

The Mobius needs 300mA so can I safely use the doubler in outputs 4 and 6 with output 6 set away from normal (for 200mA) to get a total of 300mA? Will the combination of 9V and 12V (21V) damage the pedal or will the pedal just draw the 9V required?

Please help. I don't want to fry my expensive Mobius.
There is no cable that does both... There is one cable for Doubling the Voltage and one cable for Doubling the Current.

The Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end) will only combine the Current of the two Outputs used. And both Outputs would need to be set to the same Voltage.

However, in your case this still won't help much since the Mobius requires more current than is available. For the Mobius you will need to use the included power adapter connected to the Courtesy Outlet on your older model Pedal Power 2.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Christop

Post by Christop »

Hi there!

Is it possible to use this cable to combine the 400mA outlet and a 100mA outlet of the Iso 5 (to get 500 mA), then use one of your Y splitter cables into this cable to get 2 outputs of 250mA each?

Thanks!
Chris

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Christop wrote:Hi there!

Is it possible to use this cable to combine the 400mA outlet and a 100mA outlet of the Iso 5 (to get 500 mA), then use one of your Y splitter cables into this cable to get 2 outputs of 250mA each?

Thanks!
Chris
Sure, you can stack these two adapter cables. You would have total of 500mA available between the two jacks on the Output Splitter.

What are the two pedals you are trying to power?

Christop

Post by Christop »

Great news, thanks man! I'm wanting to power a strymon el capistan and a digitech whammy ricochet (approx 235 mA), so hopefully this will fit the bill.

Christop

Post by Christop »

Cool, got this set up and working - thanks again man!

jagDaddy

Post by jagDaddy »

The new Digitech Trio+ pedal uses 9vdc 800mA external adapter. I've got a 4x4 power unit, can I use a current doubler cable on the 400mA ports to adequately power the Trio+?

If not, do you have any other recommendations from among the Voodoo Labs power supply product line?

Thanks!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

jagDaddy wrote:The new Digitech Trio+ pedal uses 9vdc 800mA external adapter. I've got a 4x4 power unit, can I use a current doubler cable on the 400mA ports to adequately power the Trio+?

If not, do you have any other recommendations from among the Voodoo Labs power supply product line?

Thanks!
The actual max current draw of the Trio+ is about 450mA. You could use a 9V/400mA output together with any other 9V output on a 4x4 with the Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end).
I would suggest using the Current Doubler for total reliability, however you may be able to get away with powering it from a single 9V/400mA outlet if you are not loading the other outputs all to their maximum.

I hope that helps!

karljam

Post by karljam »

Howdy! I'm trying to power my Korg Kaoss Pad KP3 which wants 700mA 12v center positive with a pin in the barrel. The strange barrel is no problem, I made an adapter which reverses polarity and adapts from a normal barrel to a Kaoss barrel. I also have another barrel adapter which I have successfully used with a different 12v 2A adapter

However, my current doubler doesn't seem to work. I'm pulling from two 12v 375mA outputs (Strymon Zuma) into the Voodoo current doubler, through the barrel adapter & polarity reverser, which should be just more than enough for the 700mA KP3. The thing doesn't light up, even for a brief second.

Am I doing something wrong?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

karljam wrote:Howdy! I'm trying to power my Korg Kaoss Pad KP3 which wants 700mA 12v center positive with a pin in the barrel. The strange barrel is no problem, I made an adapter which reverses polarity and adapts from a normal barrel to a Kaoss barrel. I also have another barrel adapter which I have successfully used with a different 12v 2A adapter

However, my current doubler doesn't seem to work. I'm pulling from two 12v 375mA outputs (Strymon Zuma) into the Voodoo current doubler, through the barrel adapter & polarity reverser, which should be just more than enough for the 700mA KP3. The thing doesn't light up, even for a brief second.

Am I doing something wrong?
Are you able to test the polarity/barrel adapter cable you've made using 12V 2A power supply?

What is the barrel connector you used on the cable you've made? Judging by pictures of the KP3+ (is yours the "KP3+" or is it "KP3") it looks like a fairly normal Barrel connector in either 2.1mm x 5.5mm or 2.5mm x 5.5mm.

Are you sure you have the Voodoo Lab Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end), and not the Voltage Doubler (all ends black)?

TheWoodenTable

Post by TheWoodenTable »

I am trying to power a pedal that requires 12v / 250 mA using the PP2+ and have two questions...

1. If I use a current doubler on 5+6 with switches set away from normal, will the unregulated supply lead to sending a higher voltage than 12v to the 250mA pedal, and should I be concerned about this?

2. Can I use a current doubler on 4+5 with switches set away from normal to get 12v/260mA or will this be dangerous due to the difference in regulation between those outputs?