Pedal Power X4 vs Pedal Power X4 expander kit

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
trav16

Pedal Power X4 vs Pedal Power X4 expander kit

Post by trav16 »

Can someone please explain to me the difference in:

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-Pedal ... B07BWBBZ1C

and

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-PPX4E ... B07BWPPCBY

can both of these be powered off of a pedal power 2? is there any immediate difference in these models?

Rez

Re: Pedal Power X4 vs Pedal Power X4 expander kit

Post by Rez »

Purchased as an expander kit, there is no included power source. And as such, the X4 itself would be powered from a high current 12VDC output of some other Pedal Power supply (likely a Pedal Power 4x4 or Pedal Power MONDO) thus "expanding" the number of isolated outputs attainable from that supply.

Also... If used with Pedal Power 2, it likely makes sense to purchase it with the power adapter (ie. not as an expander kit). The power adapter could then be plugged into the Pedal Power 2 AC courtesy outlet to power X4 itself.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

tokimasa

Post by tokimasa »

Rez wrote:Purchased as an expander kit, there is no included power source. And as such, the X4 itself would be powered from a high current 12VDC output of some other Pedal Power supply (likely a Pedal Power 4x4 or Pedal Power MONDO) thus "expanding" the number of isolated outputs attainable from that supply.

Also... If used with Pedal Power 2, it likely makes sense to purchase it with the power adapter (ie. not as an expander kit). The power adapter could then be plugged into the Pedal Power 2 AC courtesy outlet to power X4 itself.

Cheers!
So here's another question...

What is the maximum mA the PP2+ can provide? and if you plug an x4 into the PP2+'s courtesy outlet, does that count against the maximum?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tokimasa wrote:So here's another question...

What is the maximum mA the PP2+ can provide? and if you plug an x4 into the PP2+'s courtesy outlet, does that count against the maximum?
The Courtesy Outlet is completely independent from the DC Outputs. Connecting the X4 power adapter here will not affect the Pedal Power 2+ DC Outputs in any way.

On a Pedal Power 2+, the current limit for Outputs 1-4 and 7 & 8 are 100mA each. Outputs 5 and 6 are limited at 250mA each. All eight outputs are regulated and isolated.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

tokimasa

Post by tokimasa »

JohnClark wrote:
tokimasa wrote:So here's another question...

The Courtesy Outlet is completely independent from the DC Outputs. Connecting the X4 power adapter here will not affect the Pedal Power 2+ DC Outputs in any way.

On a Pedal Power 2+, the current limit for Outputs 1-4 and 7 & 8 are 100mA each. Outputs 5 and 6 are limited at 250mA each. All eight outputs are regulated and isolated.

I hope that helps!
That does help! Not that I am going to...but if I max out every one of the 8 outputs on my Pedal Power 2+, I will be ok??

The was something I read about the Pedal Power X4 having a total current draw of 1000 mA, so theoretically if you plugged in, say, 3 EQD Avalanche Runs (425 mA, I think), you'd exceed the capacity of the PP x4.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tokimasa wrote:That does help! Not that I am going to...but if I max out every one of the 8 outputs on my Pedal Power 2+, I will be ok??

The was something I read about the Pedal Power X4 having a total current draw of 1000 mA, so theoretically if you plugged in, say, 3 EQD Avalanche Runs (425 mA, I think), you'd exceed the capacity of the PP x4.
You can run every Pedal Power output to its rated maximum, no problem.

The X4 is a different design and as such behaves a bit differently. It does not have higher and lower rated individual outputs like the Pedal Power 2+. Each X4 Output is capable of providing up to 500mA, but as you mention, you have to observe a total load of 1A (1000mA) across all the outputs. So no you couldn't really run three Avalance Run pedals at once on the X4 alone.

However in the case where the X4 is powered from the Pedal Power 2+ Courtesy Outlet you could power two Avalanche Run pedals on the X4 with room for two lower current pedals (your two favorite Fuzz pedals or a pair of Wah pedals perhaps ;) ) and power the third Avalanche Run from the Pedal Power 2+ using Outputs 5 and 6 combined with a Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end) and have room for six more standard pedals.

More echo than yelling into the Grand Canyon!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

tokimasa

Post by tokimasa »

JohnClark wrote:
tokimasa wrote:That does help! Not that I am going to...but if I max out every one of the 8 outputs on my Pedal Power 2+, I will be ok??

You can run every Pedal Power output to its rated maximum, no problem.

The X4 is a different design and as such behaves a bit differently. It does not have higher and lower rated individual outputs like the Pedal Power 2+. Each X4 Output is capable of providing up to 500mA, but as you mention, you have to observe a total load of 1A (1000mA) across all the outputs. So no you couldn't really run three Avalance Run pedals at once on the X4 alone.

However in the case where the X4 is powered from the Pedal Power 2+ Courtesy Outlet you could power two Avalanche Run pedals on the X4 with room for two lower current pedals (your two favorite Fuzz pedals or a pair of Wah pedals perhaps ;) ) and power the third Avalanche Run from the Pedal Power 2+ using Outputs 5 and 6 combined with a Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end) and have room for six more standard pedals.

More echo than yelling into the Grand Canyon!
haha, yes, that would be a whole lot of echoing.

Thank you for all of the info. Obviously, it's hypothetical, I can't imagine anyone really using 3 Avalanche Runs, but all great information. I did a lot of research on pedal power before getting the PP2+ and one of the main reasons I went with Voodoo Lab was the great support you guys provide.

Rez

Post by Rez »

;)
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support