Pedal Power 2+ can you daisy chain two pedals from 1 output?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
The Wolves

Re: Pedal Power 2+ can you daisy chain two pedals from 1 output?

Post by The Wolves »

Thanks so much for your advice, I didn't consider that the sub n up would be so powerful due to being digital. Since my last post I have tried to simplify my ideas and rely on other pedals to add octave, delay to save space. Here is my final plan for everything I need for a new project hopefully powered by my pedal power 2+...

Boss TU2
Sp exotic compressor 
Turbo rat
Keeley loomer
Boss CE 2W
Cog effects phasor 2 clone 
Stone deaf tremotron 
Mooer e lady flanger 
Strymon timeline
Alexander space race reverb

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to power this set up without blowing something, I already have 2 Voodoo Lab PPAV Output Splitter Adapter but would like some clarity on which pedals to use these on. I have read some varying reports about needing to split powering the timeline over 2 outputs using an adaptor, however some have written that one output is fine? I'm also open to daisy chaining some pedals if needed but if only one output is advised for the timeline then I guess I'm sweet without needing to. If you could let me know that would be great.
Really excited about getting this project going and would very much appreciate further advice. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again!

tokimasa

Post by tokimasa »

Yeah, just in general, the digital pedals tend to need a little more current. Also, I'm just a Voodoo Lab PP 2+ user, so if anything I say is contradicted by the experts, I'd go with what they say.

I did a little research via google to find power requirements. I actually keep a spreadsheet of my pedals with power needs so I don't have to keep looking it up.

Newer pedals, you can find current draw (sometimes called power consumption) in the manual and often just on the product page at MusiciansFriend, Sweetwater, etc.

Anyhow, here are your current draws:
Boss TU2 - 55 mA
Sp exotic compressor - 5 mA
Turbo rat - 7.8 mA
Keeley loomer - 75 mA
Boss CE 2W - 25 mA
Cog effects phasor 2 clone - ??
Stone deaf tremotron - 250 mA
Mooer e lady flanger - 10 mA
Strymon timeline - 300 mA
Alexander space race reverb - 80 mA

I couldn't find anything for that Cog Effects Phasor 2 clone - I don't know much about it. However, most phasors are analog, and analog pedals usually have lower power requirements and don't have as much of a need for isolated power.

You do have a couple of pedals that require more power. The Timeline's requirement is actually higher than the 250 supplied by the PP2+ using the L 6 outputs. I guess it is possible that the timeline still works...but it may not like it. You're not in danger of breaking it by running with too little current, but it may not work. You could just use the adapter that came with the Timeline (if you have it) and plug it into the courtesy adapter. Or, like you said, you could combine one of the L6 outputs with one of the others.

The compressor and rat both have low current draws, plus it sounds like you have them right next to each other, so you could chain them without much problem. The Boss CE2W and TU2 also could be chained. I imagine the TU2 only draws 55 mA when you are tuning and doesn't draw much current when you have it bypassed.

The e-lady also has a pretty low current draw, so it can be chained without much issue.

Generally speaking, delays and reverbs like to be isolated, so those pedals should be on their own.

The other option that comes to mind was suggested to me on this forum. Instead of getting a whole lot of splitter cables, you could get a Pedal Power X4 for $100 and plug it in to the courtesy outlet. That gives you the high current slot you need for the Strymon and 3 other additional outputs.

Anyhow, just my thoughts, hopefully the experts will give you some other ideas too.
The Wolves wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:04 am
Thanks so much for your advice, I didn't consider that the sub n up would be so powerful due to being digital. Since my last post I have tried to simplify my ideas and rely on other pedals to add octave, delay to save space. Here is my final plan for everything I need for a new project hopefully powered by my pedal power 2+...

Boss TU2
Sp exotic compressor 
Turbo rat
Keeley loomer
Boss CE 2W
Cog effects phasor 2 clone 
Stone deaf tremotron 
Mooer e lady flanger 
Strymon timeline
Alexander space race reverb

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to power this set up without blowing something, I already have 2 Voodoo Lab PPAV Output Splitter Adapter but would like some clarity on which pedals to use these on. I have read some varying reports about needing to split powering the timeline over 2 outputs using an adaptor, however some have written that one output is fine? I'm also open to daisy chaining some pedals if needed but if only one output is advised for the timeline then I guess I'm sweet without needing to. If you could let me know that would be great.
Really excited about getting this project going and would very much appreciate further advice. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again!

The Wolves

Post by The Wolves »

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated. Will report back when everything's in place!