Pedal Power 3: Can I power a 12v pedal using one of the x-link outputs?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
jakesmooth123

Pedal Power 3: Can I power a 12v pedal using one of the x-link outputs?

Post by jakesmooth123 »

I've got two 12v pedals with high current needs but only one of the two 12v outputs gives enough juice. Can I use one of the x-link outputs? I won't be using the other x-link output. Would there be much noise?

Rez

Re: Pedal Power 3: Can I power a 12v pedal using one of the x-link outputs?

Post by Rez »

The X-Link outputs are not intended for directly powering effect pedals/audio devices. You could try using them as such but the result may certainly be unacceptably noisy.

If 12VDC and more than 500mA is required, a better solution would be to use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP in the two (selectable) 12V 500mA outputs.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

LloydEmAll

Post by LloydEmAll »

Sorry to revive a dead thread..

I'm wondering if it would be possible (or potentially harmful/not ideal) to power an RJM Mastermind GT16 using one of the X-Link outputs on the PP3+? Since the GT16 isn't involved in the audio path, I'm hoping this won't be an issue.

For reference, the GT16 needs 1A at 12V (this is from the manual – the back of the unit says 2A..)

Thanks!

Rez

Post by Rez »

Yes, being 12VDC and 1A (1000mA), you could certainly try powering it as such. It might work perfectly well.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support