Pedal Power X4 - overall maximum current

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Gilbert

Pedal Power X4 - overall maximum current

Post by Gilbert »

Hi everyone, :D

The X4 has 4 outputs capable of delivering 500 ma per output, up to a total draw of 1A - which is what the VL-provided 12V converter provides (max).

I need more total current from my X4 (ideally 1250 ma, or more to account for momentary higher current draw, e.g. at boot up).

Is it possible to achieve this by replacing the VL-provided 12V/ 1A converter with a 2A or greater model (provided it is the same polarity and is regulated)? (Current is drawn by the pedals, so max current will be the sum total of current requirements for all pedals, irrespective of the amperage available from the power supply.)

Or is the 1000 ma a hard limit, that the X4 cannot exceed, irrespective of the max current the 12V converter can provide (above 1A)?

Can such 12V/ 2A+ converter be the switching type (I assume the VL-provided converter is of this type, but have not verified)?

I'm thinking of something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Charger-1 ... =1-82&th=1

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Rez

Re: Pedal Power X4 - overall maximum current

Post by Rez »

The 1000mA is more of a steady-state maximum and also is not a very hard limit... assuming no individual output exceeds 500mA, I expect a startup current draw totaling 1250mA should work just fine and not create any problem.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support