Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
JohnClark

Re: Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by JohnClark »

TheWoodenTable wrote:I am trying to power a pedal that requires 12v / 250 mA using the PP2+ and have two questions...

1. If I use a current doubler on 5+6 with switches set away from normal, will the unregulated supply lead to sending a higher voltage than 12v to the 250mA pedal, and should I be concerned about this?

2. Can I use a current doubler on 4+5 with switches set away from normal to get 12v/260mA or will this be dangerous due to the difference in regulation between those outputs?
What is this mystery pedal?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

TheWoodenTable

Post by TheWoodenTable »

It's a GFI System Wavelogic MkII- discontinued and not very well known.

From the manual:

"WL-MKII is powered using an external +12VDC power source capable of delivering 250 mA of current. If a 12VDC power source is not available, you can use a regulated 9VDC power source, with a slight reduction in headroom."

I'm hoping to get it the 12v, but it's way more convenient for me powering my board if I don't have to use 5+6.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

TheWoodenTable wrote:It's a GFI System Wavelogic MkII- discontinued and not very well known.

From the manual:

"WL-MKII is powered using an external +12VDC power source capable of delivering 250 mA of current. If a 12VDC power source is not available, you can use a regulated 9VDC power source, with a slight reduction in headroom."

I'm hoping to get it the 12v, but it's way more convenient for me powering my board if I don't have to use 5+6.
I'd bet that you would be perfectly fine to power this from Output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP Switch set away from Normal using a single cable rather than having to combine any outputs.

I hope that helps!

SteelCore

Post by SteelCore »

Hi all,

I'm a french user. Sorry for the bad English.

I use the Voodoo Labs power supplies for my boards and rack systems, but as you don't have a rackmount unit (shame on you…), I use a Furman PL+CE, a Palmer PWT06 (6x1A outputs 8/12/18V) and an old Rocktron Power Station : 2A 9VAC (6 outputs) + 4A 250V 4A (4 outputs) to get more power needed by rack units.

I'm building a new 16U rack (almost finished, the audio works great) with 4 trays for the pedals with 1 Pedal Power Iso5 per tray (so I use 4 Iso5). But I need to feed more.
To plug 8 pedals front + 8 analog delays (dual mono 4+4 for wet/dry or wet/dry/wet), I need 2 RJM Rack Gizmo loopers (1A 9VAC x2).
To switch 7 heads non midi amps (old 2 channels Rectifiers, Friedman, Soldano, Marshall etc.) , I need 1 Rocktron loop 8 (2A 9VAC) used as a relay switchers (not as a looper, too cheap for that).
I need 1A 9VAC for an ISP Decimator Pro G Stereo.
I need 1A 9VAC for the RJM midi foot controller, of course.
And I'm not talking about the splitters and buffers...

So what is the problem here ? I need 1Ax5 : ok the Palmer can do that. And I need a 2A output... but I don't have a 2A 9VAC output on the Rocktron Power Station witch can gives 2A maximum.

My question is : can I use the Voodoo Lab Double Adapter cable to get 1A+1A from the Rocktron Power Station to feed the 2A Rocktron Loop 8 (I have the custom cables midi pins for the Rocktron) ?
Or do I need a stronger splitter cable?

The other solution, the most expensive here in Europe, is to order a custom power supply unit 8A to Steen Skrydstrup (Denmark)… I let you guess the price of such a unit (a single loop by Skrydstrup = 600euros) . So I really hope your cable can do the job !
Thx.

Best regards
SteelCore

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

SteelCore wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 am
Hi all,

I'm a french user. Sorry for the bad English.

I use the Voodoo Labs power supplies for my boards and rack systems, but as you don't have a rackmount unit (shame on you…), I use a Furman PL+CE, a Palmer PWT06 (6x1A outputs 8/12/18V) and an old Rocktron Power Station : 2A 9VAC (6 outputs) + 4A 250V 4A (4 outputs) to get more power needed by rack units.

I'm building a new 16U rack (almost finished, the audio works great) with 4 trays for the pedals with 1 Pedal Power Iso5 per tray (so I use 4 Iso5). But I need to feed more.
To plug 8 pedals front + 8 analog delays (dual mono 4+4 for wet/dry or wet/dry/wet), I need 2 RJM Rack Gizmo loopers (1A 9VAC x2).
To switch 7 heads non midi amps (old 2 channels Rectifiers, Friedman, Soldano, Marshall etc.) , I need 1 Rocktron loop 8 (2A 9VAC) used as a relay switchers (not as a looper, too cheap for that).
I need 1A 9VAC for an ISP Decimator Pro G Stereo.
I need 1A 9VAC for the RJM midi foot controller, of course.
And I'm not talking about the splitters and buffers...

So what is the problem here ? I need 1Ax5 : ok the Palmer can do that. And I need a 2A output... but I don't have a 2A 9VAC output on the Rocktron Power Station witch can gives 2A maximum.

My question is : can I use the Voodoo Lab Double Adapter cable to get 1A+1A from the Rocktron Power Station to feed the 2A Rocktron Loop 8 (I have the custom cables midi pins for the Rocktron) ?
Or do I need a stronger splitter cable?

The other solution, the most expensive here in Europe, is to order a custom power supply unit 8A to Steen Skrydstrup (Denmark)… I let you guess the price of such a unit (a single loop by Skrydstrup = 600euros) . So I really hope your cable can do the job !
Thx.

Best regards
SteelCore
Sorry but you can not really use the Current Doubler Adapter cable with AC Outputs, unless those outputs are specifically designed to be combined.
However, I do believe that the Loop 8 alone doesn't draw anywhere near 2A. It uses a large power supply so there is enough current to provide phantom power to the MIDI Controller connected to its MIDI In. I'd just try it out with what you have if you will not be using it to provide Phantom Power over a MIDI Cable.

I hope that helps!

orangefridge

Post by orangefridge »

I have x2 pedals that require the current doubler on Out5+6.

Will it work / harm my pedals if I have x2 current doublers eg 4+5 & 6+7?

Thanks

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

orangefridge wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks
It certainly wouldn't harm anything, but I cannot say that it would work without knowing what pedals you are talking about.

Outputs 5 and 6 can each provide up to 250mA. The rest of the outputs can each provide up to 100mA.
If you combine output 5 and 6 (250mA + 250mA) you would get a total capacity of 500mA.
If you combine Output 5 or 6 with any other output (250mA + 100mA) you would get a total capacity of 350mA.

I hope that helps!

orangefridge

Post by orangefridge »

JohnClark wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am
orangefridge wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks
It certainly wouldn't harm anything, but I cannot say that it would work without knowing what pedals you are talking about.

Outputs 5 and 6 can each provide up to 250mA. The rest of the outputs can each provide up to 100mA.
If you combine output 5 and 6 (250mA + 250mA) you would get a total capacity of 500mA.
If you combine Output 5 or 6 with any other output (250mA + 100mA) you would get a total capacity of 350mA.

I hope that helps!
Thanks!
I'm waiting on another doubler cable coming tomorrow and I'll test.
It's a Strymon Mobius and Line 6 Relay G50. Both work fine from 5+6.
Will test tomorrow and hope for the best!

Markus_B

Post by Markus_B »

Looking at upgrading to a Pedal Power 3 to power a Quad cortex which needs at least 2000mA to run .

Would I need 3 of the current adapters to combine the 4x500mA ports .
It's been successfully done with a cioks dc7
Unless you can make one up cheaper .

Update

Actually found out the quad Cortex needs a 12v at least 2000mA

Thanks