Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
JohnClark

Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by JohnClark »

http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/shopping_ ... sort_order

This is the Current Doubler Adapter cable (VL p/n PPAP). This connects to two outputs on any DC Pedal Power unit and combine them down to a single cable mounted barrel jack (the green end). Any Pedal Power cable can be used to connect between the adapter cable and the pedal to be powered.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Mhossey

Re: Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by Mhossey »

NEED AN ANSWER ASAPP!!!!!
Awesome! Just bought this today to power my TC Nova Delay.

1 quick question, when putting the cables into slots 5 and 6 do I need to flip BOTH dip switches to 12v or will flipping one be sufficient? Will flipping both switches create 24v to my pedal and fry it?

Super simple I know, but I just dont want to take any chances.

Thanks!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The Nova Delay can actually be powered directly from either Output 5 or 6 on a Pedal Power 2+ with the DIP switch set away from Normal using one of the supplied standard barrel cables.

A Current Doubler cable will only combine the current capabilities of the two outputs used, not the voltage.

A Voltage Doubler cable will only combine the voltage of the two outputs used, not the current.

John01W

Post by John01W »

Wow, I just stumbled on to this cool item....Now I can power my GCP from the pp2+!!!! 8-) Thank you guys a bunch for this, getting my pedals back on the floor so another big cable order for the pp2+ is in order. Question please, can I order right angle plugs on the two pedal power ends of the current doubler adapter? Great product!

Thanks again for this!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

John01W wrote:Wow, I just stumbled on to this cool item....Now I can power my GCP from the pp2+!!!! 8-) Thank you guys a bunch for this, getting my pedals back on the floor so another big cable order for the pp2+ is in order. Question please, can I order right angle plugs on the two pedal power ends of the current doubler adapter? Great product!

Thanks again for this!
We do not have a right angle version of the PPAP, but I suppose we could customize one and put right angle connectors on one, however at that point we could just as easily make a custom cable that directly connects between the Pedal Power and whatever you are trying to power.

AndyB58

Post by AndyB58 »

Is there anything like this that works with AC?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

AndyB58 wrote:Is there anything like this that works with AC?
This cannot be done with the outputs on a Pedal Power AC. What are you trying to power?

AndyB58

Post by AndyB58 »

I have a Line 6 POD X3 Live (which claims to require a MINIMUM of 2000mA) connected to a Line 6 Variax bass; the power supply that came with the POD is rated at 2000mA (MAXIMUM) and gets very hot after just a few tens of minutes of use. My hypothesis is that the combination of POD+Variax requires more than the POD's stated minimum of 2000mA, and is therefore overtaxing the standard Line 6 power supply. I have been searching for a 9VAC supply that can provide more than 2000mA and have been completely unsuccessful in my quest. Any information or links that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Andy

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

AndyB58 wrote:I have a Line 6 POD X3 Live (which claims to require a MINIMUM of 2000mA) connected to a Line 6 Variax bass; the power supply that came with the POD is rated at 2000mA (MAXIMUM) and gets very hot after just a few tens of minutes of use. My hypothesis is that the combination of POD+Variax requires more than the POD's stated minimum of 2000mA, and is therefore overtaxing the standard Line 6 power supply. I have been searching for a 9VAC supply that can provide more than 2000mA and have been completely unsuccessful in my quest. Any information or links that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Andy
Wow, must be pulling a lot of current! I think it would be best for you to run this setup and problem past Line 6 Tech Support and see what they say before going out and getting a larger capacity power supply.

Good Luck!

...and let us know what you find. ;)

AndyB58

Post by AndyB58 »

Well, I opened this topic with them a while back, and got nothing in response other than another user reporting the same problems.

http://line6.com/support/message/218851#218851

The text was:
Nov 24, 2010 9:47 PM
POD X3 Live Power Supply Heat Problem

The sticker on the back of my POD X3 Live says it needs 9V AC 2000mA MINIMUM. The PX-2 power supply is rated at exactly 2000mA. I suspect this is why my PX-2 runs hot -- after three hours, it's not something you'd want to hold in your hand for more than a few seconds. Is there a higher-amperage power supply available for the POD?

Thanks,

Andy