Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
JohnClark

Re: Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by JohnClark »

synyster_slash wrote:What would happen when using the 'current doubler' cable to combine one of the 250ma outputs with one of the 100ma ouputs?
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

OK, actually it will be fine! The combined capacity would give you 350mA to play with. We do this for the Strymon TimeLine, Mobious, and Big Sky (both DIP switches set to Normal!).
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

tombulldryer

Post by tombulldryer »

Sorry if i am repeating what others may have asked.... exhausted from trying to find help regarding using a 18v Trace Elliot SMX Duel Bass compressor with my VL PP2.
I have bought the current doubler, however the barrel does not fit the pin of the pedal !
The cable with the red end (included with the pack) does but is slightly loose, then if i were to use the two together i would need a female to female adapter.
I know there is a difference between certain pins and center positive (i only just get that)

Whats the answer and what do i do? please help.. i have tried Gearslutz and no one replies.
and i have a show on Saturday.
The guitarist of the band has the same kit, i wondered if using both of the supplied battery clip cables on the pedal would be a short term fix? as it takes two 9v batteries.

Cheers All

Tom

tombulldryer

Post by tombulldryer »

tombulldryer wrote:Sorry if i am repeating what others may have asked.... exhausted from trying to find help regarding using a 18v Trace Elliot SMX Duel Bass compressor with my VL PP2.
I have bought the current doubler, however the barrel does not fit the pin of the pedal !
The cable with the red end (included with the pack) does but is slightly loose, then if i were to use the two together i would need a female to female adapter.
I know there is a difference between certain pins and center positive (i only just get that)

Whats the answer and what do i do? please help.. i have tried Gearslutz and no one replies.
The guitarist of the band has the same kit, i wondered if using both of the supplied battery clip cables on the pedal would be a short term fix? as it takes two 9v batteries.

Cheers All

Tom
So everything i have written isnt really going to work ! the pedal has battery cradle's instead of a battery snap part on it (convenient, as its a pina in my ass).
Looking into the tech side of it all online, as its not really my thing, but i need to understand it ! the pedal is AC 18V.

Can i connect this and if so what woul i need to buy, and how would it connect to the PP2+ ?
I have all the cables that came with the module, and a standard 18v doubler cable allready!
Would love to make this work as the Trace Elliot SMX is an amazing pedal!

Cheers all, look forward to someone advising !

Regards

Tom

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tombulldryer wrote:
tombulldryer wrote:Sorry if i am repeating what others may have asked.... exhausted from trying to find help regarding using a 18v Trace Elliot SMX Duel Bass compressor with my VL PP2.

Cheers All

Tom
So everything i have written isnt really going to work ! the pedal has battery cradle's instead of a battery snap part on it (convenient, as its a pina in my ass).
Looking into the tech side of it all online, as its not really my thing, but i need to understand it ! the pedal is AC 18V.

Can i connect this and if so what woul i need to buy, and how would it connect to the PP2+ ?
I have all the cables that came with the module, and a standard 18v doubler cable allready!
Would love to make this work as the Trace Elliot SMX is an amazing pedal!

Cheers all, look forward to someone advising !

Regards

Tom

OK first things first, this would need a Voltage Doubler, NOT a Current Doubler.
I believe you will need to have a custom cable made that combines two outlets to get 18V and matches the pedal's 2.5mm, Center Negative jack. Feel free to give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com to get the necessary cable. (Be sure to mention this post so you don't have to explain everything all over again ;) )

I hope that helps!

Parker11

Post by Parker11 »

I have the TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 which requires 9v DC 300 mA

What is the best to power this with my PP2+?

Should I just use the courtesy outlet or could I get the current doubler and use outputs 4 (100ma) and 5 (250ma)?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Parker11 wrote:I have the TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 which requires 9v DC 300 mA

What is the best to power this with my PP2+?

Should I just use the courtesy outlet or could I get the current doubler and use outputs 4 (100ma) and 5 (250ma)?
You can use the Current Doubler Adapter connected to any 100mA output and either 250mA output for this just be sure to set both outputs to Normal... then ROCK!

SixStringGrace

Post by SixStringGrace »

Hi, I get asked pretty frequently if this can be used in reverse. What is the result of say, plugging a 9v supply into the green end and the 2 plugs into 2 pedals?
Thanks!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

SixStringGrace wrote:Hi, I get asked pretty frequently if this can be used in reverse. What is the result of say, plugging a 9v supply into the green end and the 2 plugs into 2 pedals?
Thanks!
The Current Doubler is wired in parallel, so connected "backward" you would be splitting the output to two pedals like our Output Splitter Adapter only you wouldn't have the ground lift and the adapter would be at the "pedal end" of the Pedal Power cable so the pedals would pretty much have to be next to each other.

I hope that helps!

SixStringGrace

Post by SixStringGrace »

Thanks John, worked perfect!

DerekLarsson

Post by DerekLarsson »

Hi John, one more question here on recommended usage and current doubling.

I have a tube-based compressor (Effectrode PC-2A), that comes with its own power adapter, but it would be much more convenient to just get the power from the pedal power 2+ supply (and not use the adapter at all).

Its power requirements are documented as: 12VDC @ 350mA.

So I assume what I would need to do is get a current doubler cable, and then use outputs 5 & 6 together, with the switches set away from the normal position (for outputs 5, 6). If I understand correctly, doing this will then provide 12 volts and 400mA of current - which would be considered safe and be the advised, correct procedure for using this pedal, having that power requirement. 12VDC @ 350mA.

Can you reply back and confirm that what I posted (above) is the correct usage for this pedal? or if not......then set me straight on what I should do for this?

I want to make sure that I don't damage anything.

Thanks,
Derek