Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
JohnClark

Re: Current Doubler Adapter cable (p/n PPAP)

Post by JohnClark »

DerekLarsson wrote:Hi John, one more question here on recommended usage and current doubling.

I have a tube-based compressor (Effectrode PC-2A), that comes with its own power adapter, but it would be much more convenient to just get the power from the pedal power 2+ supply (and not use the adapter at all).

Its power requirements are documented as: 12VDC @ 350mA.

So I assume what I would need to do is get a current doubler cable, and then use outputs 5 & 6 together, with the switches set away from the normal position (for outputs 5, 6). If I understand correctly, doing this will then provide 12 volts and 400mA of current - which would be considered safe and be the advised, correct procedure for using this pedal, having that power requirement. 12VDC @ 350mA.

Can you reply back and confirm that what I posted (above) is the correct usage for this pedal? or if not......then set me straight on what I should do for this?

I want to make sure that I don't damage anything.

Thanks,
Derek
You got it! Right on!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

DerekLarsson

Post by DerekLarsson »

Hi John, one more real important question. I forgot to mention that the Effectrode PC-2A connector has a Center Positive 2.1mm barrel connector.

The Pedal Power 2+ comes with one reverse polarity cable (red barrel), but it is documented as a 2.5mm barrel connector. Why the heck is this a 2.5mm barrel when all the other cable barrels are 2.1mm? Visually, I can't really tell the difference in size with my eyes. So I'm confused about that.

Is it possible to get a reverse polarity 2.1mm connector cable for this, and how do I get one? (part no, etc.)

Also, can you clarify which end of the cable (red?) would go into the pedal side (Center Positive 2.1mm), and which end would go to the power supply current doubler cable endpoint?

I look forward to your advice on this. Thanks for your help .....

Derek

---------
JohnClark wrote:
DerekLarsson wrote:Hi John, one more question here on recommended usage and current doubling.

I have a tube-based compressor (Effectrode PC-2A), that comes with its own power adapter, but it would be much more convenient to just get the power from the pedal power 2+ supply (and not use the adapter at all).

Its power requirements are documented as: 12VDC @ 350mA.

So I assume what I would need to do is get a current doubler cable, and then use outputs 5 & 6 together, with the switches set away from the normal position (for outputs 5, 6). If I understand correctly, doing this will then provide 12 volts and 400mA of current - which would be considered safe and be the advised, correct procedure for using this pedal, having that power requirement. 12VDC @ 350mA.

Can you reply back and confirm that what I posted (above) is the correct usage for this pedal? or if not......then set me straight on what I should do for this?

I want to make sure that I don't damage anything.

Thanks,
Derek
You got it! Right on!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

DerekLarsson wrote:Hi John, one more real important question. I forgot to mention that the Effectrode PC-2A connector has a Center Positive 2.1mm barrel connector.

The Pedal Power 2+ comes with one reverse polarity cable (red barrel), but it is documented as a 2.5mm barrel connector. Why the heck is this a 2.5mm barrel when all the other cable barrels are 2.1mm? Visually, I can't really tell the difference in size with my eyes. So I'm confused about that.

Is it possible to get a reverse polarity 2.1mm connector cable for this, and how do I get one? (part no, etc.)

Also, can you clarify which end of the cable (red?) would go into the pedal side (Center Positive 2.1mm), and which end would go to the power supply current doubler cable endpoint?

I look forward to your advice on this. Thanks for your help .....

Derek
No problemo!

The 2.5mm Red ended cable will fit into a 2.1mm jack, but may not provide a reliable connection. This cable is much more common but is mainly for use with the Line 6 Modeler pedals, Eventide Factor pedals, some EHX pedals and some Voodoo Lab switchers.

You would want to use our Reverse Polarity Barrel Cable. It will correctly fit 2.1mm jacks and it does not matter which end goes where.

Good Luck!

FreeBlues

Post by FreeBlues »

Can I jump in on the Effectrode PC-2A discussion?

Can you guys tell me exactly which cables I'll need to run this pedal from my PP2+?

It seems like I need both a voltage doubler and a 2.1mm center positive cable, yes? Which doubler cable should I get?

If you could post links to both cables that would clear up any confusion!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

FreeBlues wrote:Can I jump in on the Effectrode PC-2A discussion?

Can you guys tell me exactly which cables I'll need to run this pedal from my PP2+?

It seems like I need both a voltage doubler and a 2.1mm center positive cable, yes? Which doubler cable should I get?

If you could post links to both cables that would clear up any confusion!

If you are using a Pedal Power 2+, you would use outputs 5 and 6 with the DIP switches set away from Normal connected together with a Current Doubler Adapter and with that a Reverse Polarity Barrel Cable to connect to the pedal.

I hope that helps!

andycort

Combining current doubler adapters?

Post by andycort »

Maybe I am missing it, but I have a question I can’t seem to find the answer to while searching through these forums.

Say I'm already using outputs 5 and 6 of a PP2+ to power pedals, and I still have an approx 300ma pedal I need to power.

Could I use a current doubler cable to combine outputs of 1 and 2, and then combine that with output 3 via another doubler cable to produce 300ma? Or is this not possible and/or frowned upon?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

JohnClark

Re: Combining current doubler adapters?

Post by JohnClark »

andycort wrote:Maybe I am missing it, but I have a question I can’t seem to find the answer to while searching through these forums.

Say I'm already using outputs 5 and 6 of a PP2+ to power pedals, and I still have an approx 300ma pedal I need to power.

Could I use a current doubler cable to combine outputs of 1 and 2, and then combine that with output 3 via another doubler cable to produce 300ma? Or is this not possible and/or frowned upon?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
It is certainly possible. You could combine all the outputs down to one if you really wanted to ;)
It isn't necessarily frowned upon, it just isn't usually necessary. What exactly are outputs 5 and 6 being used for already, and what is this additional pedal?

buickwilson

is it ok to go 2mA over the stated output spec

Post by buickwilson »

The high current outlets are used on my 4x4, and I want to add my Cali 76 at 18V using a 2 x 9V 100mA outlets on a voltage combiner cable. Is ok to run 1 pedal that runs at 18V 102mA current, which means it's 2 mA steady state over the 100 mA spec.

JohnClark

Re: is it ok to go 2mA over the stated output spec

Post by JohnClark »

buickwilson wrote:The high current outlets are used on my 4x4, and I want to add my Cali 76 at 18V using a 2 x 9V 100mA outlets on a voltage combiner cable. Is ok to run 1 pedal that runs at 18V 102mA current, which means it's 2 mA steady state over the 100 mA spec.
This is a different cable than we are discussing in this thread here, however Origin Effects themselves say that our 100mA outputs will be fine. So you should be good to go!

Good Luck!

Loride

Post by Loride »

I have the original pedal power 2 (not a plus) and I want to power a Strymon Mobius. I have a doubler that was running my MXR EVH Flanger that required 18V. Is there a different cable for current doubling or are they the same? I found a cable on eBay and it says it does both (current or voltage doubling). See link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/282123340082

How does the pedal power 2 know how to increase either voltage or current? Does the the pedal just draw what it needs?

The Mobius needs 300mA so can I safely use the doubler in outputs 4 and 6 with output 6 set away from normal (for 200mA) to get a total of 300mA? Will the combination of 9V and 12V (21V) damage the pedal or will the pedal just draw the 9V required?

Please help. I don't want to fry my expensive Mobius.