Problem with Power Plus 2 and Morley Bad Horsie 2

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Prudence

Problem with Power Plus 2 and Morley Bad Horsie 2

Post by Prudence »

Hello!
I have a Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 and I’m having trobles with my Morley Bad Horsie Wha pedal, connected to output 5. Theres a lot of hum and noise when its powered from the Power plus 2. Same thing when its powered from a regular 9V adapter, but works fine with a battery :roll:

How should I set the Voodoo Lab to get the Morley Wha to work properly? Or is at a known problem with Morley pedals?
The wha needs 9V and 300mA.

Rez

Re: Problem with Power Plus 2 and Morley Bad Horsie 2

Post by Rez »

The actual current draw the Bad Horsie 2 is about 16mA (300mA is merely the capacity of its OEM power adapter) and it should work just fine, setup:

To power the Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah with Pedal Power 2 Plus, use any output, DIP switch set normal with one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Some devices (often times wah pedals, due to their inductors) are susceptible to coupling noise interference if placed in close proximity with a power supply, adapter/wall-wart, etc (due to the fields surrounding their power transformers). Many/most devices will be completely unaffected.

Perhaps this is the root cause?

Grab the wah and lift it away from the power supply, does the noise go away?

If so, generally, the best and most reasonable solution is to modify the physical placement of the offending pedal(s) and/or power supply.

Any better?
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Rez wrote:The actual current draw the Bad Horsie 2 is about 16mA (300mA is merely the capacity of its OEM power adapter) and it should work just fine, setup:

To power the Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah with Pedal Power 2 Plus, use any output, DIP switch set normal with one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Some devices (often times wah pedals, due to their inductors) are susceptible to coupling noise interference if placed in close proximity with a power supply, adapter/wall-wart, etc (due to the fields surrounding their power transformers). Many/most devices will be completely unaffected.

Perhaps this is the root cause?

Grab the wah and lift it away from the power supply, does the noise go away?

If so, generally, the best and most reasonable solution is to modify the physical placement of the offending pedal(s) and/or power supply.

Any better?

Ok, I'll try this. Thanks.

Rez

Post by Rez »

;)
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

voodoouser

Post by voodoouser »

I had the same problem with a loud hum when Morley Bad Horsie 2 contour wha was used with my Power Plus 2. All were mounted in/on Dingbat pedalboard. Didn't matter where I placed the Bad Horsie on the small pedalboard, always hummed when activated.

Solution: Move Bad Horsie pedal about 4 feet from the Dingbat pedalboard. I still used the Power Plus 2 as my power supply with a 6 power cable. I connected Bad Horsie to my pedal board with standard guitar cables, each about 6 feet long. Dead quiet, problem solved. I wanted to share in case others had this problem. It is a minor inconvenience compared to the annoying hum I had been getting.
Attachments
Pedal board Bad Horsie.jpg

Rez

Post by Rez »

Indeed, wah pedals (due to their inductors) are notoriously susceptible to coupling noise interference if placed in close proximity with a power supply, adapter/wall-wart, etc.

Usually, moving a sensitive pedal away from a power supply by only 2-3 inches will suffice but in extreme cases (such as some wah pedals) as much as 10-15 inches may be necessary. Thus, with a bit of strategic pedal placement this issue is often easily resolved.

That said... In the rare case that no adequate position can be found, moving a pedal (such as a wah) off the pedalboard might be great solution.

Also to note, most pedals can be placed directly over or adjacent to a Pedal Power supply and still be dead quiet. It's just not always the case for all pedals ;)

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick