amp selector questions

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
RMORRIS

amp selector questions

Post by RMORRIS »

is there a difference between putting effects between the amp selector and your amp vs. between your guitar and amp selector? the manual says between the guitar and the amp selector.

how does the amp selecter handle acoustics. is it ok to go out the amp selector into a p.a. for acoustic guitars?

James Santiago

Re: amp selector questions

Post by James Santiago »

Well you can do it both ways. Really the benefit of putting your guitar into the effects, then into the Amp Selector means that you can use all your effects into any amp.

However, I've also done it where I run guitar into the Amp Selector, then to a couple different amps like a Marshall (with an overdrive and a delay only on that amp), and another out going to a compressor and another delay with chorus to a Fender Twin. This way, when I switch from the different amps, the delay trails will stay on the appropriate amp. Plus, I can go from clean to a lead sound with minimal tap dancing. It's all a matter of what you'd like your rig to do.

As of late, I'm running an Amp Selector at the end of a pedalboard to send the signal to a tuner, a Marshall, and another as a DI into Pro Tools. Works great.

Also, I know a few acoustic players that use it without a problem.

JS
James Santiago
Vice President - Voodoo Lab

wharris

Post by wharris »

I am using the Amp Selector to run one Marshall and one Boogie (for clean). also using two guitars. Is there a way to make my pedal board work with both guitars (regardless of the amp selected)? :?:

James Santiago

Post by James Santiago »

Wharris,

Really, the best way to run that is to go from your guitar, into your pedalboard and then the Amp Selector. Then your pedals can run in front of either amp. As for the guitars, Amp Selector only handles 1 guitar input. Which for most people, minus maybe Michael Angelo Batio, can only play one guitar at a time.

Thanks
James Santiago
Vice President - Voodoo Lab

wharris

Post by wharris »

I would like my effects board to be available for guitar 1 or guitar 2 (depending on which one is selected). I'm just not able to figure out how to do this.

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

wharris wrote:I would like my effects board to be available for guitar 1 or guitar 2 (depending on which one is selected). I'm just not able to figure out how to do this.
Normally, you unplug guitar 1 when you put it down and plug in guitar 2 when you pick it up. If you must have a button to do this, use a simple A/B box to select between the guitars. The A/B box is just a switch in a box with 3 jacks. If you do it this way, be careful not to trip over the extra cable.

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

wharris

Post by wharris »

Josh Fiden wrote:Normally, you unplug guitar 1 when you put it down and plug in guitar 2 when you pick it up. If you must have a button to do this, use a simple A/B box to select between the guitars. The A/B box is just a switch in a box with 3 jacks. If you do it this way, be careful not to trip over the extra cable.
I need to switch guitars quickly and really can't unplug and plug-in cables in between songs, so this seems to be the answer. If the answer was a snake, it would have bitten me! Thanks for your help. :idea: