What are the chances of a 'clean face' pedal?

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
undertow

What are the chances of a 'clean face' pedal?

Post by undertow »

I've been watching all of James Santiago's great videos doing demos of other manufacturers (Dunlop) Fuzz Face pedals. He always shows the guitar's volume roll-off, and the glassy cleans that can be achieved this way. People always tell me that this is the only way to get this tone - get a Fuzz Face, and roll back the volume on your guitar. I know it is sacrilege, but I ain't crazy about fuzz. Is there an existing pedal, or could one be created (a germanium-based 'clean' boost?) that can achieve this tone? I play almost entirely clean, all the time, and I would love (wishful thinking) to get this tone without a fuzz, and without the volume roll-off. Before people say, "Get a better amp", I play through several different amps (Fender Vibro King, a solid-state Princeton Chorus, and a Mustang IV modeling amp, and a solid-state Polytone Mini-Brute III), and among them I get some pretty good cleans, but there seems to be some real dynamics in the Fuzz Face roll-off tone that I'd like to get. Is there a 'Clean Face' pedal out there?

Marlboro05

Re: What are the chances of a 'clean face' pedal?

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi there,
An Ibanez TS808 or Maxon OD808 or similar pedal will give you a clean boost. Nearly every overdrive pedal will with the gain turned right down and the level at max. There’s heaps of pedals out there to do this. Voodoo Lab Sparkle drive, Boss OD-1, TC Electronic Spark, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster or 805. Pick one and give it a go.
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

undertow

Post by undertow »

I will look into these pedals, for sure. Do any Giggity users think that it might be able to achieve this tone? I would like to look into that option, as well. With limited brick & mortar options near me, ordering without testing is the unfortunate reality. Can the Giggity draw out the same tone as a rolled-off fuzz?

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

And some other stuff.

undertow

Post by undertow »

Thanks for the replies. The Giggity is at the top of my list. Very cool pedal.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Very good pedal
And some other stuff.