ground control and expresion pedal

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
andest

ground control and expresion pedal

Post by andest »

Hi there, will an Ernie ball 25k active pedal work properly being that it's active? 25k is what Tc electronics recommends and Ernie ball's 25k comes active only.

JohnClark

Re: ground control and expresion pedal

Post by JohnClark »

The Ernie Ball 25K volume pedal is for use with active electronics, but it is itself passive. In fact, all of the Ernie Ball volume pedals are passive and all of them will work with the Ground Control Pro regardless of the potentiometer value.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

arizona guitarist

Post by arizona guitarist »

Does the taper make a difference? I would assume that still plays a big factor since when you calibrate its going to read Min and Max resistance and then probably divide it up equally based on those numbers rather than where the pedal actually is in the throw.

If so, what pedals provide the best wah controllers and which ones are the most even throughout the sweep for stuff like speed/rate controllers?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The taper will make a difference in how the Ground Control Pro sends the Control Change data. A linear taper will be an even transition throughout the pedal sweep while an audio taper will transition slowly at one end of the sweep and quickly at the other end.
This is good to know, however it is often of little consequence as the devices you are ultimately controlling usually have the ability to edit the sweep or "feel" of whichever parameter you are slewing. So the same linear expression pedal can adjust a speed control evenly but still feel correct when used to control a wah if your MIDI device allows you to edit the sweep.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

arizona guitarist

Post by arizona guitarist »

Bingo. I kept scrolling over MidOut on the g major thinking that was Midi something....not a mid point shift.

I have to say this is probably one of the most convenient support systems I can think of. Not because its a forum but because you guys actually answer with relevant information. Thanks.