PX8 Plus with VL control switcher

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
Bneel

PX8 Plus with VL control switcher

Post by Bneel »

I recently purchased a PX8 Plus and control switcher. I cannot get the control switcher to respond to anything coming from the PX8 Plus. I have followed several different instructions from posts on here but still no luck. When I press buttons 1 and 4 on the control switcher the leds don't blink. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JohnClark

Re: PX8 Plus with VL control switcher

Post by JohnClark »

The PX-8 Plus presets will send MIDI Program Change messages. So your first step would be to set the Control Switcher to respond to Program Change messages.
There are two different models of Control Switcher and the Setup Functions are different between them. So do you have the Control Switcher with the Black Buttons, or do you have the model with the light up Red Buttons?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Bneel

Post by Bneel »

I have the control switcher with the red buttons. I followed a reply of yours previously from another post and couldn't get that to work. I am going to purchase another midi cable just to be sure I don't have a bad cable and try this again tonight. I am going to do a factory reset on both units and start over. Some instructions on making sure the PX8P is set correctly, and that the control switcher is set correctly would be great!! Thank you for the response.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The PX-8 Plus is ready to go out of the box... nothing to change there.

The Control Switcher will need to be set to respond to MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1 before it will allow you to save presets. Here are the steps for the Red Button model...

Enable Program Change
1. Power up Control Switcher while holding down button #1. The LEDs will flash until you
release the button.
2. Turn On LED 1 to enable Program Change by pressing Button 1.
3. Remove power to Control Switcher.

Set MIDI Channel 1
1. Power up Control Switcher while holding down button #2. The LEDs will flash until you
release the button.
2. Make sure all four Button LEDs are OFF for MIDI Channel 1.

After doing the above setup on Control Switcher, you should be ready to go!

Create a Preset using PX-8 Plus
1. Power up both the Control Switcher and the PX-8 Plus with no buttons held down.
2. Recall a preset on PX-8 Plus (Presets are on Buttons A-D when the LEDs are Green)
3. Set the Control Switcher how you would like it to be saved for this PX-8 Plus preset.
4. Press and hold buttons #1 and #4 on Control Switcher to store the preset. The LEDs will all flash to confirm the save.

Let us know if you run into any trouble!

Philemire

Post by Philemire »

Just bought a Px-8 plus and I'd like to use it with my old control switcher v.1, the one with the black buttons. Does it works the same as the v.2 for saving my preset. I've read every manuals but I still ain't sure how to set it up properly. Thx

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Philemire wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:47 pm
Just bought a Px-8 plus and I'd like to use it with my old control switcher v.1, the one with the black buttons. Does it works the same as the v.2 for saving my preset. I've read every manuals but I still ain't sure how to set it up properly. Thx
The Black button Control Switcher will work with the PX-8+ the same way, yes. The only difference from above will be the steps for programming your Black Button Control Switcher to accept MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1.

Set MIDI Channel 1 (Black Button version)
1. Power up Control Switcher while holding down Button #2. LED 2 will flash until you
release the button.
2. Make sure all four LEDs are OFF for MIDI Channel 1.

Enable Program Change (Black Button version)
1. Power up Control Switcher while holding down Button #3. LED 3 will flash until you
release the button.
2. Turn On LED 1 to enable Program Change by pressing Button #1.

Let us know if you get stuck!