PX8 Plus loop "insert"

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
pg7

PX8 Plus loop "insert"

Post by pg7 »

PX8-PLUS insert loop : 1.what are the common options of use please expand!!! Very poor instructions in manual other than "it interrupts the chain between loop 6 & 7 " whatever that means. I just purchased a unit and would like to plan my pedalboard layout and try different staightforward options !.
The "mystic" instructions makes me feel I should be an "initiate" with switching systems. I am not , this my first switcher and will most likely be for a long time given the outstanding quality of your products

JohnClark

Re: PX8 Plus loop "insert"

Post by JohnClark »

The Insert provides a break in the series chain of loops. This allows you to use Loops 1-6 separately from Loops 7 & 8.
It might help to think of the Send as "Loop 6 Out" and the Return as "Loop 7 In".

This is most often used to facilitate running some pedals in front of an amp using Loop 1-6 while using Loops 7 & 8 for pedals in the Effects Loop of the amp.
Another use is to put a Volume Pedal in the Insert so it will be routed after any Overdrive or Fuzz effects.

What effects will you be running and how would you like them routed?

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

pg7

Post by pg7 »

Thank you for the response.
I am going to try both options and see.
Not yet received the unit and board .
I would like to make contact and pick your brain again for details.
Hope not to be too much of a bother. Thanks
I will be running a variety of Fuzz pedals , overdrive , univibe , compressor and a combo delay/reverb/rumble drive. Volume pedal and expression pedals available but I don't know how to best utilize them.

Anarchepirate

Post by Anarchepirate »

So if I understand this correctly....
You can plug distortion/fuz pedals into 7 and 8. channel 6 is used to split and go to amp and effects loop. Then modulation/effect pedals are 1-5. This splits the PX8 for use with effects loop? What if you have 4 different fuzz/distortion/tube screamer type pedals, not just the two? Those need to be separate from the px8?

Example: guitar-tuner-wah-fuzz-fuzz-px8-px7-px6 to amp-px6 effects loop-delaypx1-choruspx2-reverbpx3...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Anarchepirate wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am
You can plug distortion/fuz pedals into 7 and 8. channel 6 is used to split and go to amp and effects loop. Then modulation/effect pedals are 1-5. This splits the PX8 for use with effects loop? What if you have 4 different fuzz/distortion/tube screamer type pedals, not just the two? Those need to be separate from the px8?

Example: guitar-tuner-wah-fuzz-fuzz-px8-px7-px6 to amp-px6 effects loop-delaypx1-choruspx2-reverbpx3...
Sorry for the delayed reply!

The loops on the PX-8 Plus are fixed into two groups... there is a group of six loops in series and a group of two loops in series. You can combine them to have eight loops in series, or you can split them up, but you are somewhat bound by that there are six and two.

In your example I would set it up with the tuner and wah not connected into any loops. This allows you to use the tuner directly for silent tuning, or as an emergency "mute". The wah pedal requires your foot to be on it to even use it anyway so we typically leave these out of loops too.
This leaves only the two Fuzz pedals to be switched so these can go into loops 7 and 8, and you would have loops 1-6 to use for any effects that would go to the amp effects loop.

1. Guitar to Tuner.
2. Tuner to Wah.
3. Wah to PX-8 Plus Insert Return.
4. Fuzz pedals in Loops 7 and 8.
5. PX-8 Output to amp Instrument Input.
6. Amp FX Send to PX-8 Plus Input.
7. FX Loop effects in loops 1-6.
8. PX-8 Plus Insert Send to amp FX Return.

I hope that helps!

cchacchia

Post by cchacchia »

Good evening,

I am new to the forum. I purchased a dingbat with the PX8 and mondo and spent a great deal of time getting it all connected and up and running. It is vital that I am able to create presets and patches that I can switch between quickly. I really only have two issues right now. The first is that I have a pretty strong hum or buzz that is always present. I have not been able to figure out if it is a cable or pedal. It is always there though, even when I turn off all the pedals. This problem was not present when I was running these same pedals without the px8. It is also not present when I go straight from guitar to the amp.

The only other issue is I am not understanding the insert. I have read some of the other posts and they haven't helped the issue I am trying to figure out. I was hoping to put my ISP Noise suppressor in the insert. I run the following chain in order:

Tuner wah and compressor outside the loop
1.Phaser
2.OD
3. Distortion
4. Fuzz
5. 2nd Fuzz
6. Flanger
Insert - Empty
7. Chorus
8. 2 delays and reverb in Loop 8.
Boost between px8 output and amp.

This is the exact order I had my pedals on my board with no loop. I had the noise suppressor in between the 2nd fuzz and the effects. Basically between the drives and effects. It works flawlessly that way for me. My amp doesn't have a loop and I don't use one on my amps that do. I was hoping that the suppressor would sit in the insert and be in the same spot it was before using the px8. However, when I plug it in the insert it all goes silent. Is there a way I can run it that way? I need the suppressor when I hit my high gain fuzz and drives.

Lastly, any idea why I would be getting the buzzing?

Thanks,
Chad

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

cchacchia wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm
Good evening,

I am new to the forum. I purchased a dingbat with the PX8 and mondo and spent a great deal of time getting it all connected and up and running. It is vital that I am able to create presets and patches that I can switch between quickly. I really only have two issues right now. The first is that I have a pretty strong hum or buzz that is always present. I have not been able to figure out if it is a cable or pedal. It is always there though, even when I turn off all the pedals. This problem was not present when I was running these same pedals without the px8. It is also not present when I go straight from guitar to the amp.

The only other issue is I am not understanding the insert. I have read some of the other posts and they haven't helped the issue I am trying to figure out. I was hoping to put my ISP Noise suppressor in the insert. I run the following chain in order:

Tuner wah and compressor outside the loop
1.Phaser
2.OD
3. Distortion
4. Fuzz
5. 2nd Fuzz
6. Flanger
Insert - Empty
7. Chorus
8. 2 delays and reverb in Loop 8.
Boost between px8 output and amp.

This is the exact order I had my pedals on my board with no loop. I had the noise suppressor in between the 2nd fuzz and the effects. Basically between the drives and effects. It works flawlessly that way for me. My amp doesn't have a loop and I don't use one on my amps that do. I was hoping that the suppressor would sit in the insert and be in the same spot it was before using the px8. However, when I plug it in the insert it all goes silent. Is there a way I can run it that way? I need the suppressor when I hit my high gain fuzz and drives.

Lastly, any idea why I would be getting the buzzing?

Thanks,
Chad
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

The Insert is just a split between Loops 6 and 7. You can think of the Insert Send as "Loop 6 Out" and the Insert Return as "Loop 7 In". Your suppressor should be fine to run in the Insert and it would be much like where you had it before except now it would be after the Flanger. Exactly which ISP suppressor do you have? If it is the Decimator or the Deci-Mate with two 1/4" jacks (an Input and an Output jack) the connections would be as follows:
1. Insert Send to Suppressor Input.
2. Suppressor Output to Insert Return.

If it is the Decimator "G-String" version with four 1/4" jacks then you would need to add the Guitar In/Out path up in front of the whole setup for it to work at all.
1. Tuner to G-String Guitar In.
2. G-String Guitar Out to Wah.
3. PX-8 Insert Send to G-String DEC IN.
4. G-String DEC OUT to PX-8 Insert Return.

OK, so about the buzz, with it all set up as you describe above, try pulling the cable from the PX-8 Output and connect it to the Insert Send. This will remove Loops 7 and 8 from the signal path. Do you still get the buzz?
If so, skip the front end pedals and connect your guitar directly to the PX-8 Input. Do you still get the buzz?

Let us know how it goes!

cchacchia

Post by cchacchia »

John,

Thank you so much for the response. I had actually already done exactly what you told me to do with the noise gate. Long story short, after you told me that is how to do it, I went back and checked my cables. Sure enough one of the cables running off the gate was bad. So it is running perfectly now. I would prefer the flanger be after the gate, but not a big deal.

I plan on going through each pedal one at a time to see if I can find the buzz. I am thinking it is probably a bad cable.

Thank you again.

Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

JohnClark wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm
Anarchepirate wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 am

Sorry for the delayed reply!

The loops on the PX-8 Plus are fixed into two groups... there is a group of six loops in series and a group of two loops in series. You can combine them to have eight loops in series, or you can split them up, but you are somewhat bound by that there are six and two.

In your example I would set it up with the tuner and wah not connected into any loops. This allows you to use the tuner directly for silent tuning, or as an emergency "mute". The wah pedal requires your foot to be on it to even use it anyway so we typically leave these out of loops too.
This leaves only the two Fuzz pedals to be switched so these can go into loops 7 and 8, and you would have loops 1-6 to use for any effects that would go to the amp effects loop.

1. Guitar to Tuner.
2. Tuner to Wah.
3. Wah to PX-8 Plus Insert Return.
4. Fuzz pedals in Loops 7 and 8.
5. PX-8 Output to amp Instrument Input.
6. Amp FX Send to PX-8 Plus Input.
7. FX Loop effects in loops 1-6.
8. PX-8 Plus Insert Send to amp FX Return.

I hope that helps!
Being new to the PX8+, this post blew my mind. I just don't understand how/why of this setup? I am so used to just putting my pedals in a chain...usually distortion up front and chorus, delay, etc at the end. And that's kind of how I have my new PX8+ setup. I don't understand that insert-outs, and the Amp FX ins/outs. I have never used them on my current head.

Can someone explain the benefit of the layout posted above? I'm not doubting it! I'm just not educated on the benefits and things of this setup.

lioneyejr

Post by lioneyejr »

Hi everyone, I just registered to ask one simple question;
Got a PX8 Plus, hooking it up when I get a new power supply. Running some octavers and dirt in loops 1-6 and a phaser and delay in 7-8.
Now, if i got a ISP Deci Mate pedal, would putting it into the Insert loop be the perfect place?
Thanks!