Programming help PLEASE!

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
bufordt9

Programming help PLEASE!

Post by bufordt9 »

So I have my rack wired with a GC Pro and 3 GCXs. I am having a few problems so far with programming:

1.) I am configuered to the Instant Access mode with 4 Presets. I have my amp out put running on the first loop of third GCX (the other two GCXs are all effects). So I made preset to activate loop 1 on GCX 3, nothing else on. So when I go to configure use my instant access buttons not all of them work. I have checked cabling. and power, etc. All is good with that.
Here is an example:
I am on preset 1, Instant access buttons 3-7 work great! but 1, 2 do nothing, and 8 cuts my signal entirely! What's going on here?? HELP!

Second question:
Originally I was going to send my output for the 3 amps I am usings through loops 1, 2, 3 on GCX 3. I got them to work, individually, but not together. Any ideas?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Trueman

Re: Programming help PLEASE!

Post by Trueman »

Thats very weird indeed! Might pay to a factory reset on the Ground Control and start again.
Connoisseur of good tone.

http://www.john-trueman.com : Guitarist from Down Under
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

What do you have IA buttons 1 & 2 set to do? These are configured from SETUP>INSTANT_ACCESS. That will display button #1. Press bank down to see button #2. Same question for button #8.

Since you want to play the amps together, you need to split from the last loop with effects into all 3 inputs of the amp loops. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

bufordt9

Post by bufordt9 »

Thanks for the quick reply! Love Voodoo Lab for that!

As for the amp outputs, I thought you had to run them in the loops! My bad, I was going for not having to make anymore cables. :) But I will do that.

So, I have a bit of an update, but let me answer what you asked first:

My Instant Access buttons are all configured to the appropriate GCX loops for the effects I want IA to. I have gone through the set-up, and even started over with a new ground control pro (I have two).

So I have a preset now that is my amp output on GCX#3 loop 1. So, when I turn on the IA loops, they don't all work as I previously stated. 1, 2 and 8; Which all happen to be on GCX#2. I checked to make sure all my MIDI connections were correct, as well as audio. Could it be an audio issue posssibly with my audio connections? I was getting output to my amp off the last loop of my GCX#2 before I switched it to #3 and patched it in.

Is there some type of MIDI channel perhaps I need to engage to get the audio from my other GCXs?

Thanks again!

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

Let's treat programming and signal routing separately.

The GCXs all have LEDs on the front showing loop status. When you call up your presets or press IA buttons, the LEDs should turn on and off correctly.

Audio routing is a separate issue. There is nothing mysterious about GCX loops. They have 2 states:

Loop off: The INPUT is routed to the OUTPUT and the SEND is muted.

Loop on: The INPUT is routed to the SEND. The RETURN is routed to the OUTPUT.

So, for each amp you want to use, the source signal goes to the loop INPUT and the SEND goes out to the amp. When the loop is off, the amp is muted. When the loop is on, the amp is driven by the source. You don't use the RETURN or OUTPUT to do this.

If you have audio going to the INPUT of the loop and the loop is on, you will have audio coming from the SEND to the amp. If the amp isn't playing, check this:

1. Audio is coming to the INPUT of the loop. Unplug from the loop INPUT and patch directly to your amp's input.

2. The loop is turned on. Make sure the corresponding LED is lit.

3. The amp and cable are ready. Unplug from the loop SEND and plug directly into guitar.

You'd be surprised how many times this turns out to be a bad cable or the amp was on standby the whole time...

Please post your results!

Thanks!
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO