GCP and EVH 5150III 50w

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
tjg8675

GCP and EVH 5150III 50w

Post by tjg8675 »

Hi everyone
The evh5150III 50w has a known issue of a huge volume difference between channels 1 & 2 ( channel 2 is louder)

As a workaround to this issue I've placed an EQ pedal in a gcx loop which is going to the power amp through the effects loop and is acting as a volume cut for channel 2.

This seems to work except when I switch from channel 2 to channel 1 there is a loud volume blip.

It seems to be something going on with the GCP/GCX due to the volume blip not happening when switching channels using the evh footswitch.

please help
thanks

JohnClark

Re: GCP and EVH 5150III 50w

Post by JohnClark »

So when you get the "blip" are you only changing the amp channel or are you also switching the GCX Loop with the EQ on/off?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

tjg8675

Post by tjg8675 »

yes GCX loop/eq on when going to channel 2 for volume cut
GCX loop/eq off when going to channel 1

also changing on off OD's, fuzz, reverb, delay 's and whatnot's but still happens when I cut this stuff out of path

full path (still experimenting with order...also adding another stereo GCX soon for wah, rotovibe, and strymons)

wah to
rotovibe to
loop1 - caprid fuzz
loop2 - mxr comp
loop3 - boss comp
loop4 - black forest OD
loop5 - boss od-3
loop6 - tube driver
loop7 - EP booster
out loop 7 to front of amp

FX loop out to
strymon timeline delay to
strymon big sky reverb to
loop8 - EQ
out loop 8 to FX loop in

I have to admit to not really using this amp as intended (sorry evh)
mostly cleans (ch1) and overdrives (ch1 + pedals)
and I find the volume difference between channels really is a hindrance to exploring channel 2's potential.
I hate having to use a "workaround" so any suggestions regarding dealing with the volume difference between channel 1 & 2 would be greatly appreciated
and who knows maybe it'll fix the "blip" issue...

btw I don't really want to mod the amp at this point but might be an option

thx for reply

Wyldechild13

Post by Wyldechild13 »

I have encountered the same problem with my EVH 5150 III 50w. I was running a regular TS-9 up front, with two Carbon Copy Delays in the loop. The pedals were all hooked up using the same power source. So every time I would switch the loop on, I would get a really loud "blip" too. Upon further research, I found out that since the power for the pedals weren't individual isolated, it would cause some kind of grounding issue. Which would be the cause of the "blip". So I ran individual power supplies for the delays, used a battery for the TS-9, and that fixed the problem. I am not sure if you are using separate power supplies or what not, but it might be something to look into.
Monster Power Pro 2500
Line 6 Relay G90
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Voodoo Lab GCX
Pedals
- BOSS NS-2
- Ibanez TS-9
- BOSS CE-2
- MXR M-169
- MXR M-169
EVH 5150 III 50w
EVH 5150 III 2x12

stacker

Post by stacker »

Sorry to go off topic here, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a detailed rundown of how you run your 5150 III 50 watt with the GCX/GCP? I have been trying to figure this out, and just cant seem to get it.

Are you using a special cable to do the channel switching?
How is it set up in your GCP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

tjg8675

Post by tjg8675 »

switching channels via midi cable in to EVH from GCX (actually goes thru my strymons first but that may be more info than you need)

not a special cable for going from GCX to EVH
I do have a 5 pin active midi cable going from GCP to GCX for phantom power (no additional power supply needed for GCP)

this gets complicated and could be very long write up...
fortunately for you someone has done it already

http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/ground ... manual.pdf
read the section on setup mode and device name/channel

http://support.evhgear.com/manuals/EVH_ ... 79107b.pdf
read pg 6 lower right hand corner

once you set your GCP up to "see" the EVH go to your edit channels area find your EVH (up/down bank)
then +/- "data" pedals 3and4 should start changing the channels on the EVH, find channel you want exit/save.
you will need to do this for each of your GCP channels