2 Sliding Rack Shelves for $50 PPD! Too Good To Be True??

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
BadEye

2 Sliding Rack Shelves for $50 PPD! Too Good To Be True??

Post by BadEye »

Hey All,

Found this during my daily EBay gear trolling...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Sliding-Ser ... 3ccf74fd62

Seems like a crazy deal.

Only thing I can't really figure out is how it would mount in a standard rack. There are no front ears to screw it in.

Any thoughts? Is it worth rigging at that insanely cheap price?
BadEye
Detroit, MI, USA

nyteowl

Re: 2 Sliding Rack Shelves for $50 PPD! Too Good To Be True?

Post by nyteowl »

I hope you didn't buy these yet.

No mounting tabs is definitely a red flag, but the real cause for concern is that 600mm depth, which equates to about 23-11/16".

Try searching for a 23" deep rack case on eBay and you'll see why this isn't all that great a deal.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

BadEye

Post by BadEye »

nyteowl wrote:I hope you didn't buy these yet.

No mounting tabs is definitely a red flag, but the real cause for concern is that 600mm depth, which equates to about 23-11/16".

Try searching for a 23" deep rack case on eBay and you'll see why this isn't all that great a deal.
I did not buy. I did however write the seller and ask how they propose mounting them in a standard rack w/o ears.

I did the mm to inches conversion and noticed that too. The interior depth dim of the rack I have is 24" (not including the extra couple inches the back cover provides). So I'm not too concerned with that. You'd definitely be screwed if you had a 23" deep rack though and it's good to note.

It's mainly the lack of apparent mounting apparatus that worries me. We'll see what they say.
BadEye
Detroit, MI, USA

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

I'm thinking these drawers were more or less designed to be mounted in large computer racks, which have a rack assembly inside the case itself, similar to how a shock rack is constructed (a frame within a frame), and the drawer slide mechanism would get bolted directly to sides of the inside frame.

Good move contacting the Seller; he may even have a mounting kit for them.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

BadEye

Post by BadEye »

nyteowl wrote:I'm thinking these drawers were more or less designed to be mounted in large computer racks, which have a rack assembly inside the case itself, similar to how a shock rack is constructed (a frame within a frame), and the drawer slide mechanism would get bolted directly to sides of the inside frame.

Good move contacting the Seller; he may even have a mounting kit for them.
I'm thinking you're absolutely correct. Good call. Not what any of us would want if that was the case. I'll be sure to post my findings.
stilwel wrote:I recommend these trays:

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-elco ... s--262-280

Those look like a really good option. Best price i've seen yet for them (aside from the ones in question). Thanks.
BadEye
Detroit, MI, USA

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

Can't go wrong with stuff from Parts Express. I use one of these Middle Atlantic shelves myself, which I bought years ago before the price nearly doubled.

I suspect the price point is what captured to OP's attention. $50 for two shelves shipped to your door is hard to beat. Even with Economy Shipping, one of those Parts Express shelves would run me almost $75.

Donnie St. James

Post by Donnie St. James »

I just bought that shelf, but not from Parts Express (even though I live 20 minutes from them). I found it here:

http://www.proaudiostash.com/product/19 ... /148.shtml

I wish I would have bought it from Parts Express though. Although the price was lower, the shipping put it over the PE price. I could have got it this past Saturday when I went up there. I'm a dummy.

BadEye

Post by BadEye »

Donnie St. James wrote:I just bought that shelf, but not from Parts Express (even though I live 20 minutes from them). I found it here:

http://www.proaudiostash.com/product/19 ... /148.shtml

I wish I would have bought it from Parts Express though. Although the price was lower, the shipping put it over the PE price. I could have got it this past Saturday when I went up there. I'm a dummy.
Nice. I actually ended up buying two of these from a Dj Suppy seller on EBay for $52.50 PPD a piece. Pretty comparable to what you got!

http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/arpot1.html
BadEye
Detroit, MI, USA

BadEye

Post by BadEye »

On the subject of good rack gear deals.. I ended up grabbing a well made 14RU rack and wheelbase a decent price. Even with the S&H. So, all said and done.. a 14 space rack, wheel base & (2) sliding rack shelves ended up costing $300 to my door. The shipping is a killer on the rack and wheelbase, of course. Anyone living in the vicinity of Nashville could shave $57.50 of that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191496151000
BadEye
Detroit, MI, USA