I ditched Digital for Analog, need GCX/GCP help!

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
KennyG

I ditched Digital for Analog, need GCX/GCP help!

Post by KennyG »

So after about 8 years of using all digital/frfr/foh rigs, i decided to finally buy the analog setup of my dreams. basically i wanted the clear/crushing sound of an analog rig with the ease-of-use of my digital rig (Line 6 pod hd pro->FBV floorboard-->line 6 l3t loudspeaker)

Here is a mockup of everything i bought so far apart from the head (ill get to the later)

I honestly dont a lot about how to get the setup i want with the gear i purchased.
- i want to be able to switch amps channels of the archon through the gcp. I havent bought the archon yet because if i cant switch channels with the gcp, then it wont do me any good.
- i also want to be able to switch presets on the eventide h9 via midi

I would like to have the gcp setup as such:
1) mxr smart gate
2) mxr gt-od
3) eventide h9
4) save for future pedals
5) eventide h9 delay setting
6) eventide h9 reverb setting
7) Archon Clean Channel
8) Archon Lead Channel

Heres the patch settings i want (bottom 4 switches on the gcp)
1) Archon clean with eventide delay
2) Archon clean with eventide reverb
3) Archon dirty with smart gate, gt-od
4) Archon dirty with smart gate, gt-od, eventide delay

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE, or am i in way over my head. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

nyteowl

Re: I ditched Digital for Analog, need GCX/GCP help!

Post by nyteowl »

I can't find anything that says the Archon is MIDI capable, and it appears the foot-switch has a proprietary 5-pin DIN Connector, so you're going to need another device between your GCPro and the head to facilitate channel switching.

Considering the rest of the gear you have, I think you're best option might be a GCX, as it would let you program individual presets on the GCPro with any or all of your FX units On or Off as needed, and I suspect you could by a break out cable directly from Voodoo Lab that would let you connect two loops on your GCX directly to the head for switching purposes. I'd recommend contacting Voodoo Lab Customer Support first, to see about the cable you need.

For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The Archon can be controlled from two loops of the GCX or from two switches of our Control Switcher. In either case it will require a custom made cable to control it. We do make a cable to control the Archon from the Multi jack on the Control Switcher.

We don't make the necessary cable for controlling the Archon from a GCX. It will be a breakout from a 5 Pin DIN to two 1/4" plugs where Pin 2 (channel A/B) connects to Tip #1, Pin 5 (FX Loop on/off) connects to Tip #2, and Pin 4 connects to both Sleeves.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

KennyG

Post by KennyG »

Bumping this since I have purchased the custom cable for a voodoo control switcher. Just looking for some help setting it up! The rig I posted is the same with the addition of a control switcher.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Instant Access buttons (the top two rows numbered 1-8) will turn individual GCX Loops on and off and can be programmed to control other things like A/B the amp Channels or Tap Tempo for H9 delays. I do not believe the H9 will allow you to switch between internal effect types with an Instant Access button. You only need one Instant Access button to A/B between the two amp channels.

Preset buttons (the bottom row numbered 1-4) will recall combinations of GCX Loops, set the amp channel, and recall specific sounds on the H9... in any combination you program. Just like what you've listed.

Wiring:
Here is a sample drawing of a GCX setup that uses some similar elements.
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01 ... _AmpSw.pdf
In this example Loops 1-4 have pedals routed to the front of the amp, Loops 5 and 6 are routed in the amps effects loop. (we can ignore Loops 7 and 8 since your Control Switcher will do the actual amp channel and function switching)

What you will need to decide is where you ultimately want to route your gear. The GT-OD is pretty much a no brainer to go in front of the amp, but where do you want to run the Smart Gate and H9?

Let us know how you want to route this stuff and we can get you up and running rather quickly!

KennyG

Post by KennyG »

That definitely makes more sense. The way I would like to route it is so that the smart gate is the first part of may chain after the guitar, in front of the amp, followed by the gt-od. I have always seen the best results for high gain stuff like that. I understand now that the H9 will be the only thing in my effects loop.

I am also new to midi so that's kind of a whole new problem for me. I didn't know that I could set the H9 to activate different presets as long as they are programmed to certain presets on the ground control, but that's awesome news!

I will also be buying a line 6 g90 wireless so that will be in the whole setup. I guess this would be the rundown of the rig:

Guitar-->smart gate (via wireless)-->gt-od-->amp-->H9 (via effects loop)-->cabinet

I also would like to know where/how to hook up and plug the control switcher and h9 up since the will be through midi.

As long as I can switch channels on my amp, turn pedals on and off, and set different effects with the H9 to different presets with the ground control, then I couldn't ask for more!

Thanks for helping me through my tone Debacle :lol:

KennyG

Post by KennyG »

I think this is the right direction I need to go in. Im not sure how to incorporate the midi. I could also be way off, just let me know.
Attachments
GCX Worksheet Kenny 2.jpg

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

You got it... Right on!

For the MIDI connections the important one is the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to the GCX Pedal In... and that is really just so the GCX will phantom power the Ground Control Pro. After the GCX, you can go to whichever is most convenient... Control Switcher or H9. MIDI doesn't usually need a specific routing so just go Out of one to the In of the next until you run out of MIDI devices.

If you have anything routed after the H9, you will want to be sure to program the H9 to have its MIDI Out jack act as a "MIDI THRU".

On the Ground Control Pro you will want to enable GCX #1 and GCX #2. The settings for GCX #1 will operate the loops on you actual GCX unit. The settings for GCX #2 will operate the switches on the Control Switcher. Enabling the GCX units is explained in the Expanders section of the Ground Control Pro manual under Setup.

You will also want to name the H9 as a MIDI Device within the Ground Control Pro. This is explained in the Device Name/Channel section of the Ground Control Pro manual under Setup. The H9 should default to MIDI Channel 1.

Once the Setup steps are completed you can start creating presets that will select the patch on the H9, select the Loops on the GCX, and set the switches on the Control Switcher.
Under Edit Preset, the Assigning MIDI Program Changes section explains how to set the patch recalled on the H9 and the Controlling the GCX section explains how to set which GCX loops should be active.

Let us know if you get stuck programming.

Good Luck!

stacker

Post by stacker »

I am setting up a similar rig, but I'm confused by this diagram. There is nothing connected to the Control switcher. How and where would i hook that up?

My signal chain will be:
Guitar --> GCX --> Hush (loop1) --> TS9 (loop 2) --> Archon (loop 3) --> G Major (effects loop 4) --> Hush (loop 5) --> Cab

I'm just not sure where the Control Switcher goes in all of this?
I do have the Vooodoo Lab Custom cable for the Archon.

Thanks,
Mike

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

stacker wrote:I am setting up a similar rig, but I'm confused by this diagram. There is nothing connected to the Control switcher. How and where would i hook that up?

My signal chain will be:
Guitar --> GCX --> Hush (loop1) --> TS9 (loop 2) --> Archon (loop 3) --> G Major (effects loop 4) --> Hush (loop 5) --> Cab

I'm just not sure where the Control Switcher goes in all of this?
I do have the Vooodoo Lab Custom cable for the Archon.

Thanks,
Mike
You just need to run the MIDI Out of the GCX to the MIDI In of the Control Switcher, then connect the custom cable you have between the Control Switcher and the amp.

Let us know if you get stuck!