Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Zuurg

Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here

Post by Zuurg »

Hi!

I'd like to simplify my tap dancing when using my pedal board. Right now I have all individual pedals and my sweetwater rep keeps trying to push me towards a Boss ES-8 to do my switching, but I'd also like to move some of the pedals over to rack drawers. I can't move all of them over (like my talk box) so I'm looking for a way to have some out on the floor (like the wah & talk-box) and having some of them in rack drawers. If I go the ES-8 direction, that means a lot of potentially long cable runs between the ES-8 and the stuff that's in drawers.

I already have a GCX, so is a Ground Control Pro the answer to my problems here? Would that allow me to also have the floor pedals connected somehow? Would I also be able to have my Pod HD Pro in the chain and be controlled by the GCP or would I still need the Line 6 FCB to handle the Pod Pro?

Thanks!

nyteowl

Re: Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here

Post by nyteowl »

If you already have a GCX, that's definitely the way to go when it comes to moving most of your pedals into a rack, but any way you look at it you'll have to run a cable between your MIDI Controller and your rack.

You don't necessarily need to get a GCPro. That choice is up to you, but you night want to shop around a bit as there are controllers out there with smaller footprints that are more versatile than the GCPro.

I'd also suggest you visit Pedalsnake.com with regard to the long cable run between your pedal board and your rack.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

Zuurg

Post by Zuurg »

What other controllers out there would you recommend that would work with my GCX? Also, keeping in mind that I need to keep some pedals on the floor.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

Any MIDI Foot Controller will work with your GCX, so just do a Google Search for MIDI Foot Controllers and find one that meets your criteria. Since you will also have some pedals on the floor, you might consider the BJ Devices TB-12. There's a couple of guys over on the Kemper Forum that speak very highly of this controller.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.