Ground Control With Grandmeister

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
gdef

Ground Control With Grandmeister

Post by gdef »

Just picked up a Grandmeister and found a Ground Control to use with it. I have it set for the 4 channels/ 128 Presets. It's the other 8 switches I'm not sure what all I can do with. I know I can do the basic on/off functions for boost, reverb etc, but can one be set up for tap tempo, or to select between the different modulations effects? In short looking to see what the possibilities for these 8 switches are so I can layout my ground control to it's maximum potential.

JohnClark

Re: Ground Control With Grandmeister

Post by JohnClark »

You can use the Instant Access buttons on your Ground Control Pro to do any of the functions shown in the MIDI Implementation Chart/Controller List in the Grandmeister Manual.

You will need to set Each Instant Access button to send on the MIDI Channel you are using for the Grandmeister and set the matching Controller Number for the function you want to control. Look to the MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off section of the Ground Control Pro manual under Setup for details on how to set the buttons.

Let us know if you get stuck!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

gdef

Post by gdef »

Thanks I was able to set some of this up, Still working on the others, will definitely post again if any problems.

blewmeaway

Post by blewmeaway »

Were you able to get tap tempo working with the Grandmeister?? I’ve been trying to find an answer to this on the Internet but all I can find is a few people asking if it’s possible followed by a few replies on how to set it up but never a confirmation that it actually worked...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

blewmeaway wrote:Were you able to get tap tempo working with the Grandmeister?? I’ve been trying to find an answer to this on the Internet but all I can find is a few people asking if it’s possible followed by a few replies on how to set it up but never a confirmation that it actually worked...
I don't see Tap Tempo listed as a controllable function in the manual I have... exactly which GrandMeister do you have?

blewmeaway

Post by blewmeaway »

I have the Grandmeister Deluxe 40. It has delay time on controller number 4. The dedicated FSM432 footswitch has a tap tempo button, so I know it’s possible somehow. On the bottom of page 7 on the manual is a “Heads Up” that I believe may be the key to the answer, I just don’t know if the GCP is capable of what it is talking about...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I don't know of any MIDI Controller that is going to have the functionality of that footswitch built in.
The Delay Time control can be controlled via an Expression Pedal, but I'm not too sure how one would go about mimicking that control as a Tap Tempo.
Can you share any links to the other suggestions you mention in your first post?

blewmeaway

Post by blewmeaway »

Hey John, the forum links I referred to in my original post were just generic suggestions of following the GCP owner's manual for setting an IA switch to the corresponding control # of the feature you want to control on the Grandmeister. Although tap tempo was specifically asked about in those posts, no one actually posted a follow up saying that they ever got it to work, which is why I came here to seek answers.

I spoke to H&K support and they said that the only midi controllers that they're aware of that have this feature is the Behringer FCB1010 and some Rocktron controllers, but they didn't name any specifically.

It looks like i'm stuck with H&K's FSM432 footswitch, which is too bad because I wanted the ability to name presets as well as have more IA switches.

Oh well, thanks for your help!

blewmeaway

Post by blewmeaway »

John,

I don't suppose this is a feature that could be added to the GCP, is it?

Thanks

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

blewmeaway wrote:John,

I don't suppose this is a feature that could be added to the GCP, is it?

Thanks
This isn't very likely considering they made a somewhat proprietary method of controlling the tempo via MIDI.

Maybe the amp could be updated to directly accept a Control Change message for Tap Tempo or maybe it can accept MIDI Clock?