Midi Expression Pedals

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
tcooley@mac.com

Midi Expression Pedals

Post by tcooley@mac.com »

Anyone know of a good MIDI expression pedal (one for volume and one for Wah) to use with the Ground Control Pro?
M Audio makes one but it is small, plastic and has a really short travel. I'd like something sturdy and nice.
Thanks,
Tim

Skwisgaar

Re: Midi Expression Pedals

Post by Skwisgaar »

Last edited by Skwisgaar on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The Ernie Ball pedals are quite bullet proof and have been a long time go to for Ground Controls. Just about any passive pedal will work with the Ground Control Pro.

p.s. Never mind the pot value... Ground Control Pro does not care. If you must pick, pick a value that suits any other need you may have for a volume or expression pedal.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Skwisgaar

Post by Skwisgaar »

The taper on any expression or volume pedal is not going to be correct for a wah effect. The only such pedal that would work correctly is the Dunlop DCR-1FC, which is made for Dunlop's rack wah. You could also try modding a volume/expression pedal with an alternate potentiometer. This would be the sort of thing Robert Keeley would do. The only hitch - I don't know of any multi-effects wah that doesn't suck.

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

JohnClark wrote:The Ernie Ball pedals are quite bullet proof and have been a long time go to for Ground Controls. Just about any passive pedal will work with the Ground Control Pro.

p.s. Never mind the pot value... Ground Control Pro does not care. If you must pick, pick a value that suits any other need you may have for a volume or expression pedal.
Is it possible with say the Ernie Ball or Boss FV500 pedals to set the pedal to either control volume OR expression depending on the preset selected on the GCP? I.e. what I don't want is to connect the pedal to the GCP for pitch modulation and for it to also reduce/increase the volume at the same time; or would I need 2 separate pedals, one for volume and one for expression?

Skwisgaar

Post by Skwisgaar »

kebabeater wrote: Is it possible with say the Ernie Ball or Boss FV500 pedals to set the pedal to either control volume OR expression depending on the preset selected on the GCP?
This is not an issue. Continuous controls don't work like that at all. It is not possible for what you fear to happen.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The actual function that the expression pedal performs is programmed per Ground Control Pro preset. On one Ground Control Pro preset Pedal 1 can send Control Change 007 on MIDI channel 1 and on another Ground Control Pro preset Pedal 1 can send Control Change 122 on MIDI channel 5... basically you can edit the Control Change message from 0-120 and select any of the 8 possible devices named within the Ground Control Pro as the target with each preset.

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

JohnClark wrote:The actual function that the expression pedal performs is programmed per Ground Control Pro preset. On one Ground Control Pro preset Pedal 1 can send Control Change 007 on MIDI channel 1 and on another Ground Control Pro preset Pedal 1 can send Control Change 122 on MIDI channel 5... basically you can edit the Control Change message from 0-120 and select any of the 8 possible devices named within the Ground Control Pro as the target with each preset.
THanks John, does that mean for example on preset one I can select the expression pedal to control the volume, and on preset 2 I can select the expression pedal to control pitch?

Also can you recommend any compatible expression pedals with the GCPro that can acheieve the above?

Thanks

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

kebabeater wrote:THanks John, does that mean for example on preset one I can select the expression pedal to control the volume, and on preset 2 I can select the expression pedal to control pitch?
This is precisely what that means. Expression pedal function and target device is programmable for each preset.
Also can you recommend any compatible expression pedals with the GCPro that can acheieve the above?
I do... third post down in this thread. Also, any of the other pedals mentioned will work with the Ground Control Pro. Is there a pedal type you like?

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

JohnClark wrote:
kebabeater wrote:THanks John, does that mean for example on preset one I can select the expression pedal to control the volume, and on preset 2 I can select the expression pedal to control pitch?
This is precisely what that means. Expression pedal function and target device is programmable for each preset.
I do... third post down in this thread. Also, any of the other pedals mentioned will work with the Ground Control Pro. Is there a pedal type you like?
Great thanks John. With regards pedals I was considering the Boss FV500H pedal