GCX/Ground Control Pro Noise issue

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Zerohourmb

GCX/Ground Control Pro Noise issue

Post by Zerohourmb »

So, I’m having a issue with noise and the loops on my GCX. I switched the gear I’m using and ever since I’ve had severe noise issues. I switched from rack gear to stomp box pedals. My old setup consisted of a couple of rack mount fx( each assigned to their own loops) going to my amps GC loop along with a boss overdrive in a dedicated loop using the guitar in to the input of the overdrive and the output back thru the thru Jack back to the front of amp. All was controlled perfectly for years with out noise or incident. Now I’ve switched out the rack gear for all stomp boxes in the effects loop and have all kinds of crazy noise. If I remove the overdrive from the setup, the noise goes away. If I put the overdrive in my pedalboard, no noise. Can’t figure this out. All recommendations are greatly appreciated. I’ve owned this setup for over ten years with no issues.

nyteowl

Re: GCX/Ground Control Pro Noise issue

Post by nyteowl »

Based on what you wrote, your noise isn't coming from your GCX or GCPro, but is obviously being generated by whatever Overdrive pedal you're using, as you've already proved taking it out of your signal chain eliminates the noise.

Given that, you could try substituting a different OD pedal to see if that makes any difference or running your existing OD pedal either thru the loop of a Noise Reducing pedal or placing a non-loop NR pedal immediately after the OD in your signal chain.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

JohnClark

Re: GCX/Ground Control Pro Noise issue

Post by JohnClark »

If you power the Overdrive on a battery do you get the same noise?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------