Using Ground Control Pro to Control Keyboard Rig Live

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
stb

Using Ground Control Pro to Control Keyboard Rig Live

Post by stb »

I've just ordered a Ground Control Pro and am awaiting delivery. In anticipation, I was reading the manual and a question came to mind. I've hoping to send program changes to four different synths at once (Kurzweil PC3 LE7, Roland XV5050, Yamaha EX5, and Yamaha VL70-M). Each of these synths has far more than 128 programs. But the GCPro only seems to be able to send program changes 0-127 or 1-128.

So how do I send a program change to program 963 in the Kurzweil, 284 in the Roland, etc.? Since this is my first time trying to use a midi foot controller, maybe the answer is obvious, but I would appreciate any help that anyone out there can provide.

JohnClark

Re: Using Ground Control Pro to Control Keyboard Rig Live

Post by JohnClark »

Currently the solution would be to move, or map the higher numbered patches down to a lower bank within each of your MIDI devices. Because there are only a total of 128 MIDI Program Changes, manufacturers usually allow a user to create a MIDI Map in order to recall patches numbered above 128. I hope that helps.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

stb

Post by stb »

John: Thanks for the advice. I haven't created a midi map before. I know I'll need to consult the manuals for my various sythns, but I wonder if you could comment generally on what a midi map allow you to do.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

A MIDI Map allows you to assign a MIDI Program Change from 0-127 or 1-128 message to any numbered patch on your device. Of your 500 patches, you will be able to instantly recall any of 128 of them using the MIDI Map. Good Luck!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

ljbarbeau

Post by ljbarbeau »

1 way to see it is GCP is saying 128 but the synth is hearing 500..

there should be a place to set ur map. set what the gcp is sending then tell the synth what it should replace that number with..
Luigi
Triaxis, Triple Rectifier, Simul 2:90, DCR-2SR, BBE 482i, GCX,
G-Major 2, Furman M-8X, TS-808, Big Muff Pi, Ground Control Pro,
2x Ernie Ball 6166, Mesa Recto Cab 4x12. Main Guitar : Ibanez JEM7D