Ground Control and GR-20

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
gambiaxe

Ground Control and GR-20

Post by gambiaxe »

Hi there,

can I control via MIDI the presets of a Roland GR-20 using a Vodoo lab Ground Control???

DF400

Re: Ground Control and GR-20

Post by DF400 »

I have a GR-33 and the GCP controls it fine. I can change presets without a problem. You just need to get the two talking to each other and off you go. I am still working on changing expression parameters in the GR-33, but this also seems to be possible.

gambiaxe

Post by gambiaxe »

Thanx, I'm gonna try...

John823

Post by John823 »

@DF400 Would you mind sharing your GR-33 set up? I have one too and I'm trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into my rig. I'm using a GCX w/ GCP as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The setup here would simply be to find the MIDI channel that the Roland device is set to respond to (Channel 1 is a usual default) and assign the same channel in the Device Name/Channel within Setup Mode on the Ground Control Pro. Once the MIDI channel is set, Ground Control Pro presets will recall patches using MIDI Program Change messages. Any Ground Control Pro preset can be edited to send the desired Program Change in order to recall the desired patch.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

John823

Post by John823 »

Thanks John,
That makes perfect sense. I'm probably overcomplicating things but what do you advise for the guitar signal? As a stand alone unit, the Roland synth pick-up carries the guitar signal through the synth unit and then to an amp. Would you recommend simply running the guitar line in front of the GCX or through one of the loops in the GCX?

Thanks again.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

What do you want to do with the guitar signal from the synth? If there is no other processing you want to do to the guitar signal then running it directly to the amp seems the best choice. If you have pedal effects that you want to switch in and out of the guitar signal path then running to the GCX would be the thing to do.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

John823

Post by John823 »

Totally helps and I guess it was a really a no brainer... I tend to over-complicate. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to write. Much appreciated.