Does the GCX send instant Message's ?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Shep

Does the GCX send instant Message's ?

Post by Shep »

If i click a instant message on my Ground control pro it turn's that loop on my GCX but does the midi out of my GCX still have that message in it. I am saying this becasue my G force isn't getting any Instant messages from my GCP thur my GCX? It's not a Midi cable.As i have gone striaght from the GCP to my G force and it works perfectly.

Thanks Alot Tom

JohnClark

Re: Does the GCX send instant Message's ?

Post by JohnClark »

The GCX does not send that message through. What exactly are you trying to do?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Shep

Post by Shep »

Just as i thought

i have loops 1 to 6 changing channels and turning pedals on/off and 7 and 8 on my GCP are turning acouple of fuctions on and off my g force. I don't really want to put my g force thought a loop becasue i feel it's limting it abit.

I was thinking of making a small midi Y box so my GCP will plug into the in and then i have a main out which goes to the GCX and a sub out too my G force in parallel to the GCX out, But only using the bottom 3 pins.

Will that work??

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

So what is it you want to control on the G-Force? It is very likely that you can just program the Ground Control Pro to do what you want rather than making some strange cable. For instance: If you are using the Instant Access buttons in the 4 Presets per Bank mode, they can be programmed to send any CC message on any MIDI channel. If you are using 10 Presets per Bank mode then you can enable an unused GCX within the Ground Control Pro and set the G-Force to respond to the CC messages for GCX-2.

Take a step back and explain what you ultimately want out of this setup. It's probably only a few button pushes away!

Shep

Post by Shep »

I think i have done it.

I right now have the GCP on 4 with instant access.

1 to 6 is pretty straight forward.

7 and 8 is turning FX in the Gforce on and off. I have the Reverb running all the time. The delay's, Pitch shift,pan,Chorus,phaser and drive are turned on and off with the #7 (g-force button) and #8 is running a Small Db boost to act like a solo boost using the G-force.

What i have done is make a little box with midi foot controller in and Main GCX out(5 pin's) and Gforce out (3 pin's) This is so my GCP Can get Phantom Power but also the G force can get the Control changes.

This Whole thing works SO SO well Now. The best system i have EVER HEARD.

if you have a better way to set it up that would be awesome. Or even little tricks and tip's.

Thanks Alot Tom

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The Ground Control Pro is a "Programmable MIDI Foot Controller". The Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro are programmable. What you want is to have Instant Access buttons 7 and 8 to control something other than loops 7 and 8 on the GCX.

1. Press both Setup Mode buttons on the Ground Control Pro to enter Setup Mode.
2. Press the Instant Access button (button 6 in the middle row)
3. Press the Bank Down button repeatedly until the number at the left side of the screen is 7. The screen will likely say "7. GCX-1 Loop 7". This means that Instant Access button #7 is currently set to control loop 7 on GCX #1.
4. Press the Data + button repeatedly until the GCX-1 part of the screen reads "CH 01". The screen should now read "7. CH 01 CTL006" This means that Instant Access button 7 is now set to send Controller number 6 on MIDI channel 1.
5. Press the Bank Down button so the number at the left side of the screen is 8. The screen will likely say "8. GCX-1 Loop 8". This means that Instant Access button #8 is currently set to control loop 8 on GCX #1.
6. Press the Data + button repeatedly until the GCX-1 part of the screen reads "CH 01". The screen should now read "8. CH 01 CTL007" This means that Instant Access button #8 is now set to send Controller number 7 on MIDI channel 1.
7. Press either one of the Setup buttons to exit the Setup Mode and then press the Yes button.

That gets the Ground Control Pro programmed to make the Instant Access buttons send messages that will go through the GCX to the G-Force. If you go to the G-Force I/O Setup menu under Control, scroll down to the effect that you wish to control from your newly re-programmed Instant Access button and set it to respond to MIDI channel 1 and controller number 6 or 7.

That is it! No conversion midi box or strange custom cables required. For my example I used the Controller numbers the Ground Control Pro defaults to... you can assign whatever controller number you wish on any of the Instant Access buttons, they just have to match the controller number you set the G-Force effect to respond to.

Thanks for participating in the forum!

Shep

Post by Shep »

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! Talk to you soon.