Midi Expression Pedals

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
DF400

Re: Midi Expression Pedals

Post by DF400 »

Take a look at the new Alesis F2. Looks to be of quality construction and offers both expression and volume controls on the same pedal.

Skwisgaar

Post by Skwisgaar »

DF400 wrote:offers both expression and volume controls on the same pedal.
This is a redundant and meaningless statement. Every passive volume pedal can be used as an expression pedal.

BurnTheSky

Post by BurnTheSky »

For the record, I've had many issues with my FV-500L, the screws holding the axis around which the pedal rotates broke twice, because of the way the pedal is designed.
Here's a pic of the issue:
That was the first time the screws broke, upon repairing they broke again 2 monthes later.
I've given up on repairing it, and will never buy one again. I'd suggest getting an Ernie Ball instead.
Only weak point of the EB is the string, which is horrible to replace, but won't break that often, and can be repaired in the first place.
All in all, in my experience, it's much sturdier and durable than the FV-500 is...

Just my 2 cts though...

dawesy1986

Post by dawesy1986 »

Hey tim, what wah are you using?
I've been after a midi-controllable rackmount wah for a while but can't find anything.
cheers bud, dawesy.

vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

p.s. Never mind the pot value... Ground Control Pro does not care. If you must pick, pick a value that suits any other need you may have for a volume or expression pedal.
Can you explain this further since it is counter-intuitive? I good explanation would most likely clear up most of the confusion concerning pedals and the GCP.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

vibratoking wrote:
p.s. Never mind the pot value... Ground Control Pro does not care. If you must pick, pick a value that suits any other need you may have for a volume or expression pedal.
Can you explain this further since it is counter-intuitive? I good explanation would most likely clear up most of the confusion concerning pedals and the GCP.

The Ground Control Pro applies a voltage across the potentiometer and reads the voltage at the wiper in order to sense the position of the pedal. Because of this there is no one value that you must use. Virtually any pot value can be used with the Ground Control Pro.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Skwisgaar

Post by Skwisgaar »

The new models from Boss have separate variations intended for expression pedal or volume pedal use. I haven't seen anyone do that before.

Boss plastic

Boss metal