Using loops with GCX GCP & midi

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Shaun 02

Using loops with GCX GCP & midi

Post by Shaun 02 »

Hi I’ve purchased the 2 units at the moment I have it running my JMP1,Gmajor2 going into my focusrite Safire liquid 56.My guitar is plugged into jmp1 and everything works over the midi,I would like to put my K.O.T pedal in one of the loops once that is done we’re do plug my guitar to utilise everything into the GCX ?? If so will the midi still work (A diagram would be ace ). Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks Shaun :mrgreen:

nyteowl

Re: Using loops with GCX GCP & midi

Post by nyteowl »

A guitar signal and a MIDI signal are two totally different things; it doesn't matter where you plug in your guitar, MIDI will always work.

What you've written doesn't describe how you're currently using your GCX or how you've connected your G-Major2, so more info on that would be good. In the meantime, you could try one of these two options, where Loop X is whatever Loop you choose:

Leaving your rig as is:
1. Connect the JMP-1 Effects Send to the GCX Front Panel Guitar In.
2. Connect the GCX Rear Panel Guitar Out to the Loop X In jack.
3. Connect the Loop X Send/Return jacks to the K.O.T. Input/Output jacks respectively.
4. Connect the Loop X Out jack to the JMP-1 Left Effects Return jack.

That puts your K.O.T. in the Effects Loop, which many will agree is not the optimal place for an OD Pedal, so you might want to try this instead:

1. Plug your guitar into the GCX Front Panel Guitar In.
2. Connect the GCX Rear Panel Guitar Out to the Loop X In jack.
3. Connect the Loop X Send/Return jacks to the K.O.T. Input/Output jacks respectively.
4. Connect the Loop X Out jack to the JMP-1 Input jack.

This will put your K.O.T. in front of your amp at the head of your signal chain, and your GCX is now out of the JMP-1's FX Loop which is where I suspect you may be running your GM-2.

In the future, if you want to put more pedals in GCX loops, connect short Jumper cables between the Out and In jacks of GCX loops, connect GCX Loop Send/Return jacks to Input/Output jacks respectively of the additional pedals, and complete the signal chain by connecting the Out jack of the last Loop used to the JMP-1 Input jack.

For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.