Control Switcher and Rivera M100

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Steve Phillips

Control Switcher and Rivera M100

Post by Steve Phillips »

Hi,

I have seen posts suggesting that the Control Switcher can be used with the Rivera M100.

As I understand it the M100 would use the pulsed mode for channel switching. Is this correct?

If so how do you know what channel is currently selected? Is channel switching "blind"? That seems impractical.

With a relay type system you set the switch to the state for the desired channel. I don't understand how this can be done for pulsed type switching.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

nyteowl

Re: Control Switcher and Rivera M100

Post by nyteowl »

Welcome to the board, Steve!

As per the Pin Out diagram for the MS100's 8-Pin DIN foot switch connector, Pin 8 controls the Channel Switching so I suspect you are correct about using Momentary (pulse) mode to effect a channel change.

Besides the obvious audible tonal differences between the two channels, your MIDI Foot Controller should have an LED for each button on it to indicate that button's status. Just a matter of determining what channel you're on when the LED is lit.

However, you will definitely need to build or buy a custom 5-Pin to 8-Pin cable to connect a Control Switcher to your amp, where Pin 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the Control Switcher end is connected to Pin 8 on the Rivera end.

You didn't mention whether or not you already have a MIDI Foot Controller, but you're gonna need one if you plan to use a Control Switcher. Factor in the cost of the Control Switcher ($150 +/-) plus the cost of that custom cable ($50-$100) and it might be more cost effective for you to just buy an FS-7 ($85 on eBay) or even better under $70 from KoolKat; I've bought a few foot switches from them and highly recommend them.

Hope this helps.

For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.