Custom cable to power the GCX from a Pedal Power AC

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
octatonic

Custom cable to power the GCX from a Pedal Power AC

Post by octatonic »

Hi guys,

The GCX uses 9v AC power and the Pedal Power AC supplies 9v AC power.
Would it be possible to build a cable that runs from the output of the PP AC to the GCX?

dawesy1986

Re: Custom cable to power the GCX from a Pedal Power AC

Post by dawesy1986 »

Hi mate,
I was asking the same question only a few months ago and Voodoo Lab do make them - they just don't advertise them on the site.

The team were very helpful so get in touch with them or ring the number on the "cables" section of VL.com to place your order!

Good thinking dude, beats those huge ugly wall warts hey :shock: Dawesy

octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Nice one mate- thanks.

lespaul

Post by lespaul »

Sorry for digging up an old thread. :oops:
I recently purchased a Custom cable to power the GCX from a Pedal Power AC. My question is, would one of the 9VAC (600mA) output jacks sufficient to power the GCX or do I need to plug into one of the 9VAC/12VAC (1200mA) output jacks. I'm currently using the 9VAC (600mA) output and it seems to work fine?

Thanks

Tony

dawesy1986

Post by dawesy1986 »

hey mate, the lower outputs are fine, unless you want to phantom power the Ground Control Pro via the GCX's midi port. This would require more current so you'd need to run the GCX from the higher output, allowing you to provide enough current for both units. Let us know how it goes man!
peace, Dawesy

lespaul

Post by lespaul »

Thanks for your reply, Dawesy
Yes, I'm phantom power the Ground Control Pro via the GCX's midi port. Okay, I will run the GCX from the higher output as suggested. 8-)

Tony

dawesy1986

Post by dawesy1986 »

hey tony, cheers.
if you're already running both off the 600mA output and they both run fine then i guess it's probably sweet to keep doing that, i was just told on this forum to run both off the 1200mA output.... wierd!!

i should check it out and see why. probably a safety precaution -- worst case scenario type deal...(??!)

dawesy

lespaul

Post by lespaul »

dawesy1986 wrote:hey tony, cheers.
if you're already running both off the 600mA output and they both run fine then i guess it's probably sweet to keep doing that, i was just told on this forum to run both off the 1200mA output.... wierd!!

i should check it out and see why. probably a safety precaution -- worst case scenario type deal...(??!)

dawesy
Dawesy,

Sorry for the confusion...I meant to say I "will be" phantom power the GCP via the GCX midi port. I only powered up the GCX to try out the new cable and it powered up using the lower output of the PPAC. The GCP was not plugged in during the test. :oops:

Thanks

Tony

dawesy1986

Post by dawesy1986 »

hahaha all good mate, i thought it sounded a little strange though, i've never tested running both from the one 600mA outlet out of fear i could damage them!
enjoy the new setup bro, they're awesome!!!!
dawesy