Ground Control Pro not controlling GCX

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
ayerforce

Ground Control Pro not controlling GCX

Post by ayerforce »

First off, don't laugh but I purchased a Ground Control Pro and GCX in 2004 or 2005 and never used them together! I used the GCP to midi control my Digitech GSP2101 and it worked fine. Never used the GCX. Now that I've hooked up the GCP to the GCX (v2.0 and v1.02) and done all the steps required by the manual to get them to communicate, I can't get the GCP to control the GCX loops. Here's the setup:
[*]GCP powered by GCX with GOOD 5-pin MIDI cable
[*]Both units power up fine
[*]GCX ACTIVE LED blinks, then stays on after power up
[*]GCP scrolls through 00INIT - 09INIT until a button is pressed
[*]I go through the setup mode steps, tell the GCP to control a GCX (GCX-1 ON), set loops to normal and exit setup mode.
[*]The manual states to "press SELECT until the Ground Control display reads "GCX-1". I CANNOT get this to work no matter what I do. Pressing that button doesn't do anything. The GCP will not switch any loops on the GCX and the loop LEDs don't light up. I am trying this with NO patch cables connected as a first step in troubleshooting.
Am I missing something simple here? Thanks in advance for any input!

jbwoody

Re: Ground Control Pro not controlling GCX

Post by jbwoody »

I am not really sure about this, but have u tried going into utility in setup and changing to "4 presets/bank" from the "10 presets/bank"

just a thought. not sure if you have done this already.

I will be curious to know the answer to this problem.

ljbarbeau

Post by ljbarbeau »

1. select patch you want to edit.
2. hold "Edit" until display changes.
3. press "select" until gcx-1 appears.
4. press button from 1 to 8 to activate loop.

if still not work:

does ur active light flicker when u change patch? if not try another midi cable.
Luigi
Triaxis, Triple Rectifier, Simul 2:90, DCR-2SR, BBE 482i, GCX,
G-Major 2, Furman M-8X, TS-808, Big Muff Pi, Ground Control Pro,
2x Ernie Ball 6166, Mesa Recto Cab 4x12. Main Guitar : Ibanez JEM7D

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

ayerforce wrote:[*]The manual states to "press SELECT until the Ground Control display reads "GCX-1". I CANNOT get this to work no matter what I do. Pressing that button doesn't do anything. The GCP will not switch any loops on the GCX and the loop LEDs don't light up. I am trying this with NO patch cables connected as a first step in troubleshooting.
Am I missing something simple here? Thanks in advance for any input!
This is where I can tell that you are reading the GCX manual for programming... I know it is confusing here, but the GCX manual is referring to the original Ground Control and NOT the Ground Control Pro. You have everything else set up correctly, but you just need to look to the Controlling the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher section of the Ground Control Pro manual under Edit Preset in order to start assigning which GCX loops should be enabled within your Ground Control Pro presets.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

ayerforce

Post by ayerforce »

Thanks everyone - I'll play around tonight and respond positively (hopefully) tomorrow!

ayerforce

Post by ayerforce »

Scratch that - I just tried it. It works perfectly! Thanks again everyone!