Both GCX loop control and CC messaging?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
DF400

Both GCX loop control and CC messaging?

Post by DF400 »

I have a couple of questions on the use of the GCP with the GCX:
I want to continue to use the GCP to control the loops on the GCX, but would like to also use the GCP to send CC's to my AxeFx for controlling internal effects.

Basically, I use the loops to select between my AxeFx, JMP-1 and Piezo. What I had planned as a compromise is to use channels 1, 2, and 3 for the above functions, then use 4-8 to control various on-board effects (without connecting anything to the GCX on those loops). Is there a way to set up presets that if, for example the AxeFx s selected, I could use the remaining switches to activate the CC effects without changing the channels assigned to the GCX? Put another way, can presets be set up to ignore the GCX entirely, or selected loops.

Also,
When assigning the GCX to select pre-maps, is it recommended to assign loops to the inputs or use the outputs of the preamp and assign them to the inputs of the power amp? (the first method requires only one loop, but I gues I would need separate power amps, while the latter requires only one power amp but they are stereo). Any suggestions based on the GCP and GCX capabilities would be most appreciated

Thanks for you help.

JohnClark

Re: Both GCX loop control and CC messaging?

Post by JohnClark »

The Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro can be assigned to control GCX loops or can be user programmed to send any Control Change message on any MIDI Channel. Programming the Instant Access buttons in this way is covered in the MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off section of Instant Access under Setup Mode in the Ground Control Pro manual.

Disabling the GCX within presets so the loops will not change state can be done by pressing the No button while looking at the GCX-# screen while in a Ground Control Pro preset. This is shown in the Ground Control pro manual in the Controlling the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher under the Edit Preset section.

When switching between preamps, it is best to A/B the outputs of the preamps as shown in the GCX manual Example 1 under the A/B switching section. If you must actually switch preamps in stereo, you can use two GCX loops, one for the Left signal and one for the Right signal.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

DF400

Re: Both GCX loop control and CC messaging?

Post by DF400 »

Thanks John,
I did read the manual, cover to cover, just must have missed the section. Great suggestions, thanks again