G Force switching problems

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
masch

Re: G Force switching problems

Post by masch »

To provide you with some further clarification:
Preset 1 is a clean sound, with the amp's FX loop engaged and a patch from the Gforce (patch 12 from the GForce which is an edited Chorus/Reverb sound)=the GForce is in loop 5 so I have this turned on.
Having chosen the patch number from the edit mode on the second MIDI channel, which is the G-Force, I can actually hear the chorus clean sound coming through. I then press exit and ask the GCP to save the preset. When moving to a different preset and coming back to preset 1, the relevant loops are activated (namely loop 5 which is the GForce), the patch number on the screen is changed (back to patch 12), yet there's no effect coming through, the sound is dry.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

So the preset is actually recalling the patches as you have programmed them, but the problem is that you simply do not hear the effected sound from the G-Force? If that is the case, check that loop 5 of your switcher is actually engaged and/or not set as momentary. Are you using any Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro, and if so, are any of them set to "XMIT W/PRSET" (Transmit with Preset) and being saved to the Ground Control Pro preset set to Off?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

masch

Post by masch »

Thank you once again for replying, it's hard to get support these days, especially if you live in a small island in Europe where most people don't even know what MIDI means! It's nice to find people as helpful as yourself and any person on this forum. I'll get back to you as soon as I have the chance to test these things out again (probably during the weekend).
What you suggested might be the problem sounds plausible-I haven't changed any of the settings on the GCP, apart from setting 4 presets per bank and activating the GCX from the expanders section as far as I can remember.
I'll make sure I'll check the instant access settings next time as well as the preset edit mode settings.

"Are you using any Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro, and if so, are any of them set to "XMIT W/PRSET" (Transmit with Preset) and being saved to the Ground Control Pro preset set to Off?"

Yes, I'm using the instant access buttons which are controlling the switcher's audio loops. What steps should I follow from both the overall setup mode and the edit preset mode to ensure that they work in the fashion that I want them to-i.e to save certain instant access buttons (audio loops) for certain presets and also be able to turn them on and off while playing?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I know what is going on here now. The problem you are having is that you are sending a Program Change that tells the RG-16 what loops to activate and at the same time sending Control Change messages from the Instant Access buttons that are turning the RG-16 loops off. You may want to consider setting your RG-16 to GCX emulation mode rather than controlling it with Program Changes.

Since you have the Instant Access buttons activated and set to the default of being GCX controllers, you will need to include the state of these switches with your preset. To do this simply press any of the Instant Access buttons that should be on for a given preset, then go into the Edit Preset mode and save.

Good Luck!

masch

Post by masch »

I'm afraid that there seems to be some miscommunication here....
The steps that I followed are the same as the ones in the following video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cBhOksI01c

The only difference is that in one of the loops I've connected a rack processor (GForce) which has been assigned a different MIDI channel (MIDI channel 2).
Even though the patch number on the screen of the GForce changes to the one that I assigned whenever the stored preset is recalled and the instant access button responsible for the same audio loop is activated, there's no effect coming out-the sound is dry as if the GForce is bypassed (note than during the process before recalling a different preset the sound is wet). For example, If I'm saving preset 1 as a clean sound with some GForce effect and then go to preset 2, when I return to preset 1 the GForce patch is recalled, the instant access button is on but the sound is dry.
This leads to me to think that there's an issue with saving presets.
To verify this I ran a test with stompboxes instead of the GForce and everything worked fine. So, this leads me to think that it's an issue with saving presets with the FX processor, GForce.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Check that you are not inadvertently activating the bypass on the G-Force itself. If that is not it then simplify the setup. There are too many unknown variables for me to help any further with this rig. Take the G-Force out of the switcher and run it directly in line wherever you are ultimately routing it. Re-initialize the Ground Control Pro and program it to first only control the G-Force. Add another level of complexity until you have either found when the problem starts again or the rig is complete and the problem is gone. Good Luck!

Nilson

Post by Nilson »

Hi, I have RJM RG16, ADA MP-1 and Digitech Studio S100, using Rocktron 7-pin to 5-pin MIDI Cable to power supply GCP with 9V via Phantom Power from RG16, but after aprox 5 min, all devices including GCP, stops responding to MIDI messages, and sometimes powering GCP OFF an ON again, messages become normal but again after aprox 5 min stops again. Could be weak signal due to some eletrical problem or long distance cable ? Do you think a MIDI Thru box, powered by USB, could solve this message communication or eletrical problem ?

Kevvy2Socks

Post by Kevvy2Socks »

Ummm...are you saying that the G-Force patch is saved on the GCP but isn't saved on the Gforce itself?

If this is the case you would have to manually save the Gforce patch on the gforce.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi there,

I’m pretty sure the G Force is the same as the G Major and G Major 2, in that the preset is just recalled by the Ground Control Pro.

Cheers
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.