G Force switching problems

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
masch

G Force switching problems

Post by masch »

Hello everyone,
I've encountered some problems lately when hooking up my Ground Control Pro with an RJM RG16 unit (equivalent to Voodoo Lab GCX) some stomp boxes (that are connected to the RG-16) and a G Force rack. My aim is to connect all these so that the RG 16 successfully controls the amp, the stomp boxes and the Gforce. The first thing to check was to make sure the MIDI channel on which the GForce operates is the same as the one that the Ground Control operates. So, I made sure that the RG 16 works in MIDI channel 1, which is the default on the Ground Control, and the GForce on MIDI channel 2.
As far as I can tell, everything is set up the way it should be-my next step was to save a preset on the Ground Control using the RG 16, for example, I saved a preset with a clean sound and EQ from the amp and then another using a boost pedal from the RG 16 and the amp's rhythm channel, also using the amp's EQ. Then, I pressed on the 'write' button so as to save the preset. Having done this, I then pressed on the Ground Control's edit mode, chose the appropriate patch from the second device, which was named 'Gforce', by pressing the relevant number on the Ground Control (I went to edit mode and chose device 2/channel 2). At that point, I could see the same patch number coming up on the LED screen of the Gforce and I could also hear that the FX was activated-everything was working perfectly. The problem that occured was that the new preset, with the addition of the Gforce patch, was not saved for some reason (even though I exited edit mode and saved it!). I'm trying to figure out what that reason is. As far as I know, you only have to exit the setup mode and it's saved (at least that's what I can tell from the numerous demos and videos using the Ground Control). What could the problem be and what should I do to save it properly?
Any help or input would be appreciated, thank you.

JohnClark

Re: G Force switching problems

Post by JohnClark »

I think you are mixing up Setup Mode functions with Edit Preset functions. Setup Mode is where you configure the Ground Control Pro to your system by naming your devices and enabling the different options. Edit Preset is where you create your Ground Control Pro presets.
To write a Ground Control Pro preset, you must first recall the preset that you with to edit, then press and hold the Edit button. Pressing Bank Down will step through the different options you have enabled. When you have finished making changes simply press the Edit button again and you will be asked if you would like to save the preset... press the Yes button to save the preset.
Good Luck!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

masch

Post by masch »

Hi there!
Thanx for clearing that up. However, the steps that I followed are pretty much the same. I stored a preset, controlling both the RG 16 and the amp, yet when it came to editing the preset (which as you pointed out requires pressing and holding the setup button and then saving by exiting this mode and pressing yes), I scrolled through to get to the second device, namely the GForce, entering the number of the patch I wanted for that preset and then saving. Even though the switching seemed to be working (the patch number changed to the desired one and the same patch was audible) it wasn't successfully saved..what do you think is responsible for this? Borne in mind that the cables work and the appropriate MIDI channel was chosen what could be the reason for this?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Pick one preset that you want to create and tell me exactly what you are setting for each device. What I want to see is the Ground Control Pro preset number you are editing and the Program Change you are assigning to each device. If you exit this preset and then go back into it, do the same Program Change messages that you saved previously still exist?

masch

Post by masch »

Will do...I'll try this once more tomorrow and let you know in more detail,
thanx a lot :!:

masch

Post by masch »

OK, here's another example of the problem I'm facing..
I entered setup mode and assigned a MIDI channel to the Gforce. I then saved a preset (the very first one from the first bank on the GCP) using a clean sound
from the amp and using the amp's FX loop. I then edited the preset, scrolling to the second device (which I named 'GForce') and entered the number of the desired patch from the GForce, so the screen read:
02. GFORCE 12 ('12' being the number of the patch)
At that point I could clearly hear the effect coming through my amp. I exited edit mode and saved the preset. I then switched to another preset and returned to the first one, only to notice that it wasn't saved. Even though the patch number was there, under the appropriate device and MIDI channel, there was no signal from the GForce. This sounds to me as though the preset was not succesfully saved. I then hooked a stompbox in the place of the GForce and the preset was saved successfully. So this means that the problem is not really related to the GCP, I'm guessing it's sth to do with assigning the MIDI channel and controlling it (however, whenever I entered the number of the patch I could actually see and hear that the patch number and sound changed). It should also be noted that I changed the MIDI channel number on the Gforce from the I/O section to match that of the GCP (MIDI channel 2). What should I try next?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I am afraid that I cannot make sense of what is going on here. You say that the Ground Control Pro is not saving the preset... so can you tell me clearly if the preset you created in your example still has Program Change 12 assigned to the G-Force when you go back into Edit Preset mode?

masch

Post by masch »

The preset was saved in terms of the loops I chose which were active whenever the preset was engaged but the patch number chosen on the GForce couldn't be saved-it changed whenever I pressed on a different preset. I hope this clears it up.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I guess I just don't understand what is going on here. Does the Ground Control Pro preset still contain the changes you entered or not? For example, the preset that you entered 12 for the G-Force... what number is displayed if you go back into that preset and look at the entry for the G-Force?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

masch wrote:it changed whenever I pressed on a different preset.
Wait a minute here... each Ground Control Pro preset has to be programmed to recall the patch you want for each device. A different Ground Control Pro preset should recall a different G-Force patch unless you have programmed each Ground Control Pro preset to recall the same G-Force patch.