Ground Control Pro + Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Feriy

Re: Ground Control Pro + Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

Post by Feriy »

Guys! Can Anybody help me? I have a GP. In the preset edit i assigned each preset button to commands 16 17 18 and 19...but Midi Monitor on my computer sees command 16 like 15, 17 like 16 and Mainstage to. I also can use it with accounting about that. but I want to deal with that

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Feriy wrote:Guys! Can Anybody help me? I have a GP. In the preset edit i assigned each preset button to commands 16 17 18 and 19...but Midi Monitor on my computer sees command 16 like 15, 17 like 16 and Mainstage to. I also can use it with accounting about that. but I want to deal with that
Check out the Device Name/Channel section under Setup Mode in the Ground Control Pro manual. At the end of this section the "Start Number" setting is explained. Set the Starts At number to match the first numbered patch of the device you are controlling.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

anthonylbest

Post by anthonylbest »

I have loaded the template and all is working great. However my two foot controllers are not modifying the volume or wah.

I am using a line6 ex1 pedal in both slots 1 and 2.

The EX1 has a mono plug and not a stereo plug which is noted in the manual.

Is this a supported expression pedal, and if so do I need to configure anything differently?

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

anthonylbest wrote:I have loaded the template and all is working great. However my two foot controllers are not modifying the volume or wah.

I am using a line6 ex1 pedal in both slots 1 and 2.

The EX1 has a mono plug and not a stereo plug which is noted in the manual.

Is this a supported expression pedal, and if so do I need to configure anything differently?
You've answered your own question.

The manual specifies a passive pedal with a 1/4" stereo plug must be used, but the EX1 has a 1/4" mono plug, so no, it is not a supported pedal and there is no way to configure it to make it work.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

JerEvil

Post by JerEvil »

Hey there. Have my first GCP coming in from the Guitar Center used site. I am using the Eleven Rack with the Expansion pack.

Couple questions though. I am ordering the Sweetwater exclusive Mission Engineering expression pedal. How can I swap the wah function on button 1 for the "on" button on the ME pedal.

If I am going to be creating and renaming my patches on the Eleven, should I just do my own set up on the GCP? Is it more of a pain reassigning stuff?

I am midi illiterate. Is it easy to make button 1 in 4 button mode equal patch 4B? I hate to think I need to create all my patches in order of use.

Thanks in advanced.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

JerEvil wrote:Hey there. Have my first GCP coming in from the Guitar Center used site. I am using the Eleven Rack with the Expansion pack.

Couple questions though. I am ordering the Sweetwater exclusive Mission Engineering expression pedal. How can I swap the wah function on button 1 for the "on" button on the ME pedal.

If I am going to be creating and renaming my patches on the Eleven, should I just do my own set up on the GCP? Is it more of a pain reassigning stuff?

I am midi illiterate. Is it easy to make button 1 in 4 button mode equal patch 4B? I hate to think I need to create all my patches in order of use.

Thanks in advanced.
Sorry, I didn't see you hiding up here!

It doesn't sound like loading the preset template will really be of much benefit to you so I think your first stop should be the Ground Control Pro manual.

Since you are starting with a used Ground Control Pro you may want to re-initialize the memory so any previous settings don't make things go funny. This is shown in the Utility section of the Ground Control Pro manual under Setup Mode.

You can name the Eleven Rack as a device and assign a MIDI Channel, default for both will be MIDI Channel 1 so there shouldn't be a need to change the channel really. Look to the Device Name/Channel section of the manual under Setup Mode to name the Eleven Rack.

Enabling expression pedals is in the Pedals section under Setup Mode. Here you will just be letting the Ground Control Pro know that you have connected your Mission pedal to both ports, It doesn't really matter at this point which port is the switch and which one is the treadle, but you will need to remember which one went where and always plug it in the same way.

Finally, look to the Edit Preset section to start creating Ground Control Pro presets that recall the Eleven Rack patches you want and assign the expression pedal ports to control the individual parameters you would like. Assigning MIDI Program Changes is where you will select which Eleven Rack patch is recalled, and Using Expression Pedals is where you will select which parameter the expression pedal controls.

There may be more you want to change but this should get you started with some basic control and get you somewhat familiar with how the Ground Control Pro works and how to program it to do what you want.

Let us know how you do!

nmccrack37

Post by nmccrack37 »

I know this question was asked forever ago, but I feel like I'm still missing something...
After installing the package, I'm using the 4 bank buttons to select my Eleven Rack preset, but the banks move up/down in increments of 10. So I'm fine if I want to use 01-04, but how do I get the Ground Control to switch to presets 05-10?

Thanks

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

nmccrack37 wrote:I know this question was asked forever ago, but I feel like I'm still missing something...
After installing the package, I'm using the 4 bank buttons to select my Eleven Rack preset, but the banks move up/down in increments of 10. So I'm fine if I want to use 01-04, but how do I get the Ground Control to switch to presets 05-10?

Thanks
The characters to the far left of the Ground Control pro screen are just indicating the preset location within the Ground Control Pro itself. It has no direct connection to whatever patch you are recalling on any MIDI device you are controlling.
The first character indicates Bank and the second character indicates the Preset button within that bank... for instance 01-04 on the Ground Control Pro screen is indicating Ground Control Pro Presets 1-4 in Bank 0.
If you press the Bank Up button once you will have access to the four presets in Bank 1.

I hope that helps!

tophat

Post by tophat »

I am having a tremendous amount of difficulty loading the midi dump to my GCP...I have the eleven rack and want to use the file from this post to program my GCP...I have tried SendSX, and MIDI-OX...I have the GCP set to receive mem but no matter what I do there is NO response from my GCP...I have the midi in on the GCP and the midi out on my eleven rack, also tried with my Maudio firewire interface...at a loss at the moment on what I am not doing correctly or what setting needs to be changed...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tophat wrote:I am having a tremendous amount of difficulty loading the midi dump to my GCP...I have the eleven rack and want to use the file from this post to program my GCP...I have tried SendSX, and MIDI-OX...I have the GCP set to receive mem but no matter what I do there is NO response from my GCP...I have the midi in on the GCP and the midi out on my eleven rack, also tried with my Maudio firewire interface...at a loss at the moment on what I am not doing correctly or what setting needs to be changed...
If there is no response from the Ground Control Pro then I would dare guess that the SysEx message is never making it to the Ground Control Pro.

I would suspect that the software you have used isn't properly set up to make your MIDI Interface actually send MIDI. For instance, do you see it selected in the dropdown list in SendSX when you click on the "MIDI Out" settings at the top of the screen?

Also, it is best to connect the MIDI Out of your MIDI Interface directly to the MIDI In on the Ground Control Pro when performing the Bulk Data Dump.

Exactly which M-Audio interface are you using?