Ground Control Pro + Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
tophat

Re: Ground Control Pro + Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

Post by tophat »

thank you so much for your reply...I have the maudio audiophile firewire...yes the drop down box says fw midi out with is the name of the maudio interface...I have both files from the forum topic on this subject...the sysx file and the midi file...the sysx says the it is sending and it give me a bar graph showing the send...GCP does nothing...however when I try to send a midi file from the same topic here in the forum my computer locks up and gives me a blue screen "watchdog violation" I have youtube the issue and followed the repair...the computer free's back up but will not send midi

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tophat wrote:thank you so much for your reply...I have the maudio audiophile firewire...yes the drop down box says fw midi out with is the name of the maudio interface...I have both files from the forum topic on this subject...the sysx file and the midi file...the sysx says the it is sending and it give me a bar graph showing the send...GCP does nothing...however when I try to send a midi file from the same topic here in the forum my computer locks up and gives me a blue screen "watchdog violation" I have youtube the issue and followed the repair...the computer free's back up but will not send midi
Here is an older Sound On Sound article I found where the author was using this interface and had what sounds like similar issues when first attempting to use it's MIDI capabilities... http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/m-a ... audiophile
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

tophat

Post by tophat »

okay I went thru and reset all permissions also did a windows update checking program...everything is all up to date and when I used send SX it ran perfectly but the GCP still did not respond...send SX ran thru 6 lines of information approx 3 minutes to complete but the GCP never moved off of "receive mem"
so I do not know what to try next...any help will be GREATLY appreciated

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

When you are looking at the SendSX "MIDI Out" screen with the SysEx file loaded, what are the first few characters?

Alternatively, maybe you can try this web app instead... https://gcproeditor.com/

tophat

Post by tophat »

this is what shows up in the send syx midi out screen...

F0 00 00 07 10 31 31 20 52 41 43 4B 20

I had seen the GCP editor...is there somewhere I can get the memory dump straight from my eleven rack to try to load onto my GCP?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tophat wrote:this is what shows up in the send syx midi out screen...

F0 00 00 07 10 31 31 20 52 41 43 4B 20

I had seen the GCP editor...is there somewhere I can get the memory dump straight from my eleven rack to try to load onto my GCP?
The text looks to start with the correct characters so if receiving this message at all the Ground Control Pro should at least jump to the timer... but your Ground Control Pro does nothing at all, just stays on the "RECEIVE MEM" screen?

Can you test that any MIDI is going thru the Ground Control Pro?
1. MIDI Interface MIDI Out to Ground Control Pro MIDI In.
2. Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to MIDI Interface MIDI In.
3. Make sure your MIDI Interface is set as the MIDI In and MIDI Out Device in SendSX.
4. Under Options on SENDSX, make sure MIDI Thru is NOT checked.
5. In the MIDI Out text box on SendSX clear any text then type "C1 11".
6. Press the Send button (or press F4).
7. Do you see the same message returned in the MIDI In box?

What is the firmware revision on your Ground Control Pro? It should scroll across the screen when first powered up with a three digit number.

tophat

Post by tophat »

okay "no" would be this answer...I selected the midi out and in accordingly copy and pasted the message you instructed...f4 and the send syx says sent 2 bytes but nothing is returned

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tophat wrote:okay "no" would be this answer...I selected the midi out and in accordingly copy and pasted the message you instructed...f4 and the send syx says sent 2 bytes but nothing is returned
Sorry, I should have noted that this test would be done after powering up the Ground Control Pro, but not hitting any buttons. Is that how you did the test?
Can you do the same test but connect the Eleven Rack connected to your MIDI Interface?
1. MIDI Interface MIDI Out to Eleven Rack MIDI In.
2. Eleven Rack MIDI Thru (you must configure the MIDI Thru in the user menu on Eleven Rack) to MIDI Interface MIDI In.

Also, please, what is the firmware version of your Ground Control Pro?

tophat

Post by tophat »

this is what returned when I sent thru the eleven rack "C0 11" also I am running 1.13 version

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tophat wrote:this is what returned when I sent thru the eleven rack "C0 11" also I am running 1.13 version
Interesting, that shows that MIDI is actually working thru your MIDI Interface. So that is good!

On SendSX can you look in the Options tab and make sure it is configured as follows...

Receiving MIDI
Nothing should be checked here.

Sending MIDI
Check only "Split long messages when sending".

Loading Files
Check "Split long sys ex messages upon loading into text area"

Click OK

Next we should Re-Initialize your Ground Control Pro. This is done in Setup Mode.
1. Press both Setup Buttons at the same time to enter Setup Mode.
2. Press the Utility button.
3. Press the Select Down button repeatedly until the screen reads "INIT MEM Y/N".
4. Press the Yes button, then press it again after the warning message.
5. Wait for the screen to say "Done".

Now we can get set up for the data dump again.
1. Connect the MIDI Out from your MIDI Interface to the MIDI In on the Ground Control Pro.
2. Press both Setup Buttons at the same time to enter Setup Mode.
3. Press the MIDI button.
4. Press the Select Down button repeatedly until the screen reads "RECEIVE MEM".
5. Load your SysEx file into SendSX then press Send.

Let us know what happens!