Troubleshooting help needed

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
hdcool

Troubleshooting help needed

Post by hdcool »

Hi Everyone,

I need a troubleshooting hand at as low cost as possible..why you will see later below.

My setup is as simple as this: GCP -- midi cable -- TC GMajor2.
The GCP is powered by a Samson PowerBrite PB10 power conditioner.

I've done more or less 10 gigs with it in total. Besides the gigs I use it every week in the rehearsal attic.

I have never ever had issues on the attic, yet a few times already when setting up for a gig on stage, the GMajor doesn't respond to changes on the GCP.
I have gotten it to work every time by replugging the cable 20-30 times but yesterdays gig went wrong.. it just didn't want to work, no matter what I tried.

I had to fallback on my stompboxes which I hate as then I need to really tapdance.

The two units work flawlessly alone, just the combination doesn't. I plug it back on the attic and everything works flawlessly... aargh... so that makes me still think the cable is good as that was my prime suspect.

Now, I don't have spare midi cables, nor spare midi pedal or midi device to test with and rule out faulty components.

Are there any ways I can really see that either device properly sends/receives midi data?

Any other suggestions?

Maybe one last stupid question: does it matter what you power on first, pedal or unit?

Thanks!

Cedric

domct203

Re: Troubleshooting help needed

Post by domct203 »

Be very careful that you are not mis-aligning the 5-pin MIDI cable with the 7-pin jack in the GCP. It is easy to force the cable in with it rotated 1 pin off. Be sure the alignment rib inside the MIDI cable plug is aligned with the notch in the bottom of the GCP MIDI jack.

I'll bet this is the issue.

Hope this advice helps!

Dom
Ground Control Pro | GCX | Control Switcher | PP2+ | Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster | Mesa Mark V | Mesa Stiletto Deuce | (2) Mesa Rectifier 4X12's | '73 Gibson Les Paul Custom | '12 Gibson Les Paul Trad | '10 Carvin CT6M | TC G-Major

hdcool

Post by hdcool »

Hi Dom,

Thanks for your reply. I will check it but I doubt this will be the issue as I remember having bought 7-pin midi cable to be able and one day go for powering on my gcp from whatever unit in the rack.

I'll check it out just to be sure I'm not dreaming :-)

Thanks!

Cedric

hdcool

Post by hdcool »

Ok, now I feel really stupid... I have a 5 pin cable. Made sure it was inserted correctly and everything worked. So I guess you're right!! Thanks!

Time to properly mark the cable end so I can never miss even in scarce light!

One beer extra for Dom!

domct203

Post by domct203 »

Glad I could help!

Dom
Ground Control Pro | GCX | Control Switcher | PP2+ | Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster | Mesa Mark V | Mesa Stiletto Deuce | (2) Mesa Rectifier 4X12's | '73 Gibson Les Paul Custom | '12 Gibson Les Paul Trad | '10 Carvin CT6M | TC G-Major