GCP and expression pedal question

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
pat6969

GCP and expression pedal question

Post by pat6969 »

I only have room for 1 expression pedal on my board. I'm using an 11rack with the GPC. My question is, can I program the expression pedal for global volume control but when I engage an instant access it becomes a wah? Then when I disengage the instant access it's volume control again?

Also, should I buy a high or low impedance pedal? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Pat

nyteowl

Re: GCP and expression pedal question

Post by nyteowl »

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've never heard of a way to change a Volume pedal into a Wah simply by stepping on an IA button. Maybe someone else knows how and can help you with that, but I have a more elegant solution.

Since you have yet to buy a pedal and asked for recommendations, I'd like to suggest you buy a Mission SP-1. This pedal has a built in switch in the toe position, so you can configure it to act as your Global Volume pedal, but whenever you want/need a Wah you can activate it using the Toe Switch, as long as the Wah function is available in whatever 11-Rack Program you're using at the time.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

What an expression pedal controls is defined with each Ground Control Pro preset. You could program a toe switch to toggle the wah on/off using the second expression pedal port, but the preset will have already had to have been programmed to have the treadle assigned to controlling the pedal sweep of the wah.

The wah in the Eleven Rack is totally cool, but if you are the type that may want to use the wah at any time, anywhere, it still isn't as convenient as having a real wah pedal out on the floor. ;)
If you know that you will only ever use the wah with certain presets, then using the built in wah can totally work.

I hope that helps explain a bit!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

solidwalnut

Post by solidwalnut »

I have a solution that is definitely a bit ignorant for using a single expression pedal as both the WAH and the VOL with the 11R. But it works well.

I would appreciate feedback to make this work better. It works just fine, but is a recipe for disaster under gig pressure.

1. I am using the Mission EP-11S (toe switch option)
2. Plugs in to both 1 and 2 on the GCP
3. P1 MIDI control value = 4 (WAH sweep)
4. P2 MIDI control value = 7 (VOL sweep)
5. Instant Access button 5 = 43 (WAH on/off)
6. Instant Access button 7 = 75 (VOL on/off)

Works great. The rig patch doesn't need to have the WAH or the VOL saved with the patch. Any patch can call up the either/both functions and the pedal will respond with either function. If both functions are turned on, the pedal becomes a VOL WAH!

Here's the catch. This functionality only works in 1 toe switch position. It falls apart in the second toe position. The failure is very recognizable, though. Regular guitar patch and volume works well, but neither function works when called. Yet, both switch positions are required by the GCP for this to function.

I'd appreciate a better strategy for using one pedal.