GCX engaging presets on multiple devices (one stomp)

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
ozzynotwood

GCX engaging presets on multiple devices (one stomp)

Post by ozzynotwood »

Is it possible for the Ground Control Pro to change presets on multiple devices?

Practical example before I buy this these midi products

I do have the GCX system in my rig, as usual, works perfect.

I would like a preset in 4P/8IA mode to engage my set loops, change the patch on the Strymon Timeline AND change the patch on the GLAB BC-1 compressor. (yes, both pedals are midi)

Can this sort of acrobatics be done?

As a side topic, Strymon have told me the GCX cant select presets on the timeline. I sent them the ground control manual but from what I understand on page 17 (I think) these strymon presets can be called up via the GCX. Any experience here?

JohnClark

Re: GCX engaging presets on multiple devices (one stomp)

Post by JohnClark »

Ground Control Pro can control Eight MIDI devices and four GCX switchers at once... so yea, totally! You would name your two MIDI devices within the Ground Control Pro and assign each one its own MIDI Channel. This will allow you to set a unique Program Change message for each device on every preset.

Not too sure how you posed the question to them, but the Ground Control Pro will absolutely recall the presets on a TimeLine via MIDI Program Change messages.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

ozzynotwood

Post by ozzynotwood »

JohnClark wrote:Ground Control Pro can control Eight MIDI devices and four GCX switchers at once... so yea, totally! You would name your two MIDI devices within the Ground Control Pro and assign each one its own MIDI Channel. This will allow you to set a unique Program Change message for each device on every preset.

Not too sure how you posed the question to them, but the Ground Control Pro will absolutely recall the presets on a TimeLine via MIDI Program Change messages.

I hope that helps!
Hi John, I was hoping you'd throw in your 2cents on this one :)

I bet the weak link in the communication with strymon was with me. I asked them about program changes using the IA buttons. It appears the IA buttons only transmit CC messages in 4P/8IA mode so I wouldn't be able to to have 8 patches ready to be recalled in this mode. Time for a firmware upgrade? ;)

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

It is the Ground Control Pro Presets that will recall the different patches on the TimeLine. You can even have the matching names displayed on the Ground Control Pro screen.

The Instant Access buttons work a bit differently. They are generally used as On/Off switches for individual effects.

Will you be running other non MIDI pedals in the GCX?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

ozzynotwood

Post by ozzynotwood »

JohnClark wrote:It is the Ground Control Pro Presets that will recall the different patches on the TimeLine. You can even have the matching names displayed on the Ground Control Pro screen.

The Instant Access buttons work a bit differently. They are generally used as On/Off switches for individual effects.

Will you be running other non MIDI pedals in the GCX?
To try an keep this rig as simple as possible a MIDI delay pedal will be the only MIDI device in the rack (excluding the GCX and GCP of coarse). Im not including the compressor now.

Meanoldfireman

Post by Meanoldfireman »

If you want to conservce loops in the GCX (and simplify the wiring) you can wire the Strymon between the Output of the GCX and the input of the amp, or directly in the effects loop of the amp and program a preset in the Strymon with all dry signal. When you send the PC message and change to the "dry" preset, it's "almost as good as" direct bypass, as Strymon has an all analog dry signal path. (I do that with a Big Sky and it works great)