GCX Programming WITHOUT GCP?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
jimosity

GCX Programming WITHOUT GCP?

Post by jimosity »

Is there a way to program the GCX without a GCP?
Like a software editor or something?

nyteowl

Re: GCX Programming WITHOUT GCP?

Post by nyteowl »

jimosity wrote:Is there a way to program the GCX without a GCP?
No official Voodoo Lab editor.

There is a third party Ground Control editor available, but from all reports it doesn't work very well. You can find a download link in the thread titled GCP and software, if you want to see if it works for you.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

jimosity

Post by jimosity »

nyteowl wrote:
jimosity wrote:Is there a way to program the GCX without a GCP?
No official Voodoo Lab editor.

There is a third party Ground Control editor available, but from all reports it doesn't work very well. You can find a download link in the thread titled GCP and software, if you want to see if it works for you.

I use my GCP in my live rig; but not my GCX - sometimes my live rig is not with me, but I still wanted to be able to use my GCX at home.
I was just hoping to use a regular midi controller for it and figured I should be able to program it with some kind of software. Guess I'm outta luck.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

jimosity wrote:I use my GCP in my live rig; but not my GCX - sometimes my live rig is not with me, but I still wanted to be able to use my GCX at home. I was just hoping to use a regular midi controller for it and figured I should be able to program it with some kind of software. Guess I'm outta luck.
Not really, because it's not the GCX that gets programmed, it's the foot controller. The loop status for presets is not saved in the GCX, but in whatever MIDI controller you're using with it. Please refer to Page 14 of the GCX Manual, which explains how to control a GCX with a MIDI device other than a Ground Control.

All the information you need is there, and whatever other MIDI controller you intend to use, that's the piece you'll need an editor for, although I suspect it would probably be simpler to program the device directly.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

jimosity

Post by jimosity »

What about a software based midi controller?
Is there some sort of virtual midi controller that I can configure to send Program Changes or multiple CCs at the same time?

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

jimosity wrote:What about a software based midi controller?
Is there some sort of virtual midi controller that I can configure to send Program Changes or multiple CCs at the same time?
According to Google, there are plenty to choose from, but not being familiar with any of them I cannot offer any recommendations. Best suggestion I could make at this point would be for you to do a Google search for "Software based MIDI Controller" and review the search results to find the one you believe would work best for your particular application.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

Reviewing this thread once more, I need to clarify that it is not the GCX that gets "programmed" but the MIDI Foot Controller that sends MIDI messages to the GCX.

Since you can use just about any MIDI Controller to send messages to the GCX, why don't you just get an inexpensive one to use with your GCX at home?