GCP, EVH 5150 III mini, G-Major, Hush Super C

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
stacker

GCP, EVH 5150 III mini, G-Major, Hush Super C

Post by stacker »

I know this has been discussed a bit in previous posts, but im still unsure how I should hook this stuff up. Please bare with me, i'm a bit of a Midiot!

I have my GCP, EVH 5150 III mini, G-Major and Hush Super C.
I have it hooked up like this: GCP -> the G-Major -> EVH all via midi
Is this the best way to hook it up? If So, now how do I program the GCP to switch channels on the 5150III?

Should I run the Hush through the FX loop, or is their a better way? I saw something in the manual about running it from the preamp out, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.
Should I put the HUSH before or after the G-major?

Thanks in advance, for the help!

Mike

nyteowl

Re: GCP, EVH 5150 III mini, G-Major, Hush Super C

Post by nyteowl »

Running MIDI Cables from your GCPro to your G-Major and then to your EVH is the only way you can hook up these units because, according to the illustrations in the EVH Manual I found on line, there are no MIDI Thru or MIDI Out jacks on this amplifier. Therefore, the only place it can go is last in the MIDI chain.

Please refer to Pages 6 & 7 in your EVH Manual for instructions on how configure your GCPro and amp for channel changing and FX Loop bypass.

Please refer to Pages 6 & 7 in your GCPro Manual for instructions on how configure your GCPro to recognize your G-Major and EVH as Devices One and Two respectively. Make sure all units are communicating on the same MIDI Channel.

An FX loop is basically an insert point between an amplifier's Preamp and Power amp sections, so putting the Hush unit in the FX Loop of your EVH is the same as running it from the Preamp out. Since the EVH has no Power Amp In jack, you would still have to run the Hush back to the FX Return anyway, so keep things simple and just use the loop.

Last but not least, if you were to put the Hush before the G-Major, you would not have the ability to eliminate any inherent noise that may be generated by any of the G-Major effects. Put the Hush in the loop, after the G-Major.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

stacker

Post by stacker »

"Please refer to Pages 6 & 7 in your GCPro Manual for instructions on how configure your GCPro to recognize your G-Major and EVH as Devices One and Two respectively. Make sure all units are communicating on the same MIDI Channel."

I was under the impression I should have the G-Major and EVH communicating with their own individual channels. For example: G-Major on channel 1, EVH on channel 2?
Am I wrong, they should both be on the same channel?

Thanks Nyteowl!

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

It's not that you're wrong, just that with MIDI there is often more than one way to do things.

Unless it causes some sort of conflict between the units in question, multiple units can share the same MIDI channel. In your case, I suspect it will be fine, so try it and see. Easy enough to change them to different channels if it doesn't work.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

stacker

Post by stacker »

OK, thanks!