Controlling Engl Powerball Amp Functions with GCX and GCP

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
jdude7721

Controlling Engl Powerball Amp Functions with GCX and GCP

Post by jdude7721 »

I recently purchased an Engl Powerball along with the GCX and GCP. I wanted to save myself 200$ by figuring out how to control all the amp functions with the Voodoo Lab gear I have. The amp has two different footswitch inputs. Both of them are paired up with two different Engl footswitches that both can turn on and off two different functions each on the amp. I did as much research as possible, and I bought two TRS cables thinking that might solve my problem. I was able to control more functions than with a normal cable, but still not all of them. Right now I can switch two different channels, and switch the master volumes. I want to be able to switch master volume levels, switch all four channels, and switch the mid focused/open options. Any help/suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JohnClark

Re: Controlling Engl Powerball Amp Functions with GCX and GCP

Post by JohnClark »

The cables you need would be two Insert Point cables. The TRS ends connect to the two foot switch jacks on the Engl and the 4 mono ends would connect to 4 different GCX loops.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

I have the same question regarding the Engl Powerball. The Powerball has 2 stereo jack footswitch sockets but each socket controls 4 functions. So socket one can select channel 1, channel 2, lo-gain, high gain. Socket 2 also has 4 different settings. Therefore do I need to use a single stereo jack to 4 mono jack leads in order to control all 4 functions of socket 1? And another 1x4 lead to control all the functions of socket 2?

From the Powerball manual:

35 Footswitch Master A - B; Style open - focused
1/4" Stereo jack designed to take a dual footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-4) for the following functions:
1. Switching between the two Master volume controls A and B (mono terminal);
2. Switching between the Sound-Style "open" and "focused" (stereo terminal).
36 Footswitch Channel Ch I - Ch II ; Gain Lo - Hi
1/4" Stereo jack designed to take a dual footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-4) for the following functions:
1. Channel switching between Main Channel I and Main Channel II (mono terminal);
2. Gain Lo - Hi switching (Clean -> Crunch or Lo Lead -> Hi Gain Lead) (stereo terminal).

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

...and I have the same answer. ;) You need two Insert Point cables.

An Insert Point cable looks like a Y cable with a single TRS (Stereo) end that breaks out to two TS (Mono) ends. Your amp has 4 switchable functions accessible from two TRS (Stereo) jacks. An Insert Point cable connected to each footswitch jack will break these functions out to 4 GCX loops.

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

JohnClark wrote:...and I have the same answer. ;) You need two Insert Point cables.

An Insert Point cable looks like a Y cable with a single TRS (Stereo) end that breaks out to two TS (Mono) ends. Your amp has 4 switchable functions accessible from two TRS (Stereo) jacks. An Insert Point cable connected to each footswitch jack will break these functions out to 4 GCX loops.
I think the amp has 8 switchable functions from two stereo jacks: Jack 1 selects: clean, crunch, lo-gain or high gain; Jack 2 selects master A, master B, mid-cut, mid-boost. So when you use the Engl footswitch and press the clean channel button for example, the amp carries out 2 operations, it switches to channel 1 and also switches to lo-gain. Can this be done with the insert cables?

I currently have a GCX and GCPro using them with a Bogner Uberschall which works without any issues and I'm thinking about getting a Powerball but am confused as to how to set up the GCX and GCPro....apologies if I'm being an idiot about this :?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

kebabeater wrote:
JohnClark wrote:...and I have the same answer. ;) You need two Insert Point cables.

I think the amp has 8 switchable functions from two stereo jacks: Jack 1 selects: clean, crunch, lo-gain or high gain; Jack 2 selects master A, master B, mid-cut, mid-boost. So when you use the Engl footswitch and press the clean channel button for example, the amp carries out 2 operations, it switches to channel 1 and also switches to lo-gain. Can this be done with the insert cables?

I currently have a GCX and GCPro using them with a Bogner Uberschall which works without any issues and I'm thinking about getting a Powerball but am confused as to how to set up the GCX and GCPro....apologies if I'm being an idiot about this :?

The two Insert Point Cables are all that is needed. A GCX loop has two states, on or off. The switch functions are like A/B switches. For instance, if you look at the part of the manual you have quoted, it states that for the channel footswitch jack, the Tip will select between Main Channel I and Main Channel II. If this were connected to a GCX loop you would get Main Channel I when the loop is off and Main Channel II when the loop is on. You can control the entire amp with 4 GCX loops or the 4 switches on a Control Switcher. I hope that helps!

kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

JohnClark wrote:
kebabeater wrote:

The two Insert Point Cables are all that is needed. A GCX loop has two states, on or off. The switch functions are like A/B switches. For instance, if you look at the part of the manual you have quoted, it states that for the channel footswitch jack, the Tip will select between Main Channel I and Main Channel II. If this were connected to a GCX loop you would get Main Channel I when the loop is off and Main Channel II when the loop is on. You can control the entire amp with 4 GCX loops or the 4 switches on a Control Switcher. I hope that helps!
Thanks John, you really are a Tech/Magician