Control Switcher with GCX loops ?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
oblivius

Control Switcher with GCX loops ?

Post by oblivius »

Hi Friends,
Can I control GCX loops with the Control Switcher? Since I run a Midi Mate I have only 5 On/Off "loop controls" and was really hoping I could program the Control Switcher to turn loops On/Off in addition. My amp channels are contolled through the G-major 2 so I thought I needed the switcher for that, but alas !
Thanks in Advance
Dave
Mesa Boogie Mark V, 2x12 Recto Cab, G Major 2, GCX, Rocktron Midi Mate, TS808, Ibanez 7420QM, Taylor 314C.

nyteowl

Re: Control Switcher with GCX loops ?

Post by nyteowl »

No can do.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

oblivius

Post by oblivius »

Well that sucks doesn't it :roll: You have mucho experience Mr. Nyteowl so let me ask you this. I have a fairly simple rig and I'm really just learning how to configure it. As of now it's guitar ->
Wah ->GCX -> Gmajor2 -> MKV, all controlled by Midi-Mate. I'm adding a ISP- Decimator Pro rack device which may be beside the point. Since I only have 5 MM instant access buttons I use the G-Maj relays to switch the amp channels. So far I have 3 loops used, a TS-808, Throttle-box, and MKV "solo" switch. The last two IA buttons I switch two G-Maj effect blocks on/off so with that, I'm out of IA buttons. Maybe I'm missing something you may be able to point out but I think I've used everything at my disposal and have run out of things to control. I want to keep my MM but either have to add another "loop control" device or, like I said, you might have an idea of how to better configure the system. So I guess I need another way to add a few more IA buttons to the existing system.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by anyone...Thanks
Mesa Boogie Mark V, 2x12 Recto Cab, G Major 2, GCX, Rocktron Midi Mate, TS808, Ibanez 7420QM, Taylor 314C.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

If you have noise issues, adding the ISP unit is a smart move, and since it doesn't need to run through your GCX it will have no impact on the MIDI part of your rig.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear because you wrote that you want to keep your Midi Mate, but all things considered, I'm of the opinion your best option is to replace your MIDI Mate with a more versatile MIDI controller. After all, you did just write how you've used everything at your disposal and have reached the limit of your Midi Mate's capabilities. I'm afraid it's time to upgrade, amigo.
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

oblivius

Post by oblivius »

Right you are...Boooooo :evil: Since I have the GCX I guess the obvious choice would be the GCP. I like the low-profile of the MM but I guess it's a trade off isn't it....
PS the ISP is really worth the money...I cranked this thing up today and it was practically silent when it needed to be....
Boy you have some extra money for a nice rig and that gets spent and you just want to buy more, and more. Seems never ending but it will be. I dug an old ESP "the mirage" out of my storage and forgot how great it sounds with its alder body, ebony board and maple neck. Now I'm upgrading all the hardware, fret job yada yada...never ending but I guess better this than buy the Suhr I really want...
Thanks...

Meanoldfireman

Post by Meanoldfireman »

It sounds like you have an abundance of things to control, you just need a better way to control them. There are a lot of things to consider in upgrading your controller. A small foot print is nice, but the flexibility to get what you need done is very important. (And you don't need to necessarily choose one over the other.) If you can work off of presets/PC messages, you have a lot of choices. If you want to have IA buttons for all the GCX loops, the Channel switching and turn on and off various blocks in the G-Major with CC messages, you're probably looking at something a little bigg. (Although there are some smaller controllers that you can hit a function switch and turn the whole board into IA switches and then switch back to a mix of presets and IA's