GCX doesn't work!

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
LFilippi63

GCX doesn't work!

Post by LFilippi63 »

I have a GCX connected to a GCP but it seems not work the midi (?) connection between the two.
When I turn on the GCX does the right sequence of 9 LEDs (from right to left) but the ACTIVE LED does not light.
I also tried powering the GCP separately with 9V power supply but does not work anyway.
When in doubt was something on the GCP I also tried to connecting the GCX to a GP (not Pro) but without any good result. I'm quite desperate....can it be broken?
Is there any way to reset or test the GCX?

Many thanks!
Luca

JohnClark

Re: GCX doesn't work!

Post by JohnClark »

The GCX does seem to be starting up correctly at least. ;)

Is the GCX successfully providing Phantom Power to the Ground Control Pro?

Does the Active LED flash when you press buttons on the Ground Control Pro?

Is the GCX enabled in the Ground Control Pro under Expanders in Setup Mode?

Make sure you are connecting your MIDI cable from the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to the GCX Pedal In jack.
Also, because the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out is a 7 Pin DIN jack it is possible to force the cable in with the pins misaligned. Check that the locator dimple in the shield on the plug is lined up with the slot on the MIDI Out Jack before pushing the cable into the jack.

Let us know how it goes!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

JohnClark wrote:The GCX does seem to be starting up correctly at least. ;)

Make sure you are connecting your MIDI cable from the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to the GCX Pedal In jack.
Also, because the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out is a 7 Pin DIN jack it is possible to force the cable in with the pins misaligned. Check that the locator dimple in the shield on the plug is lined up with the slot on the MIDI Out Jack before pushing the cable into the jack.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for helping me John!

Yes it works

No it doesn't work
Only when I turn on the GCX the less sequence run from right to the left

Yes, I switch on GCX1 in the Expander in setup mode ...without any result :(

Also, because the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out is a 7 Pin DIN jack it is possible to force the cable in with the pins misaligned.
Check that the locator dimple in the shield on the plug is lined up with the slot on the MIDI Out Jack before pushing the cable into the jack.

I have tested all pins on the both jack (with professional multimeter) and checked the correct position on both plugs on both device (GCX and GCP): all seems to be ok.

Any other suggestion, pls?

Thanks in advance ! ! !

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The Active LED on the GCX should flash whenever there is MIDI data hitting the MIDI In... do you have any other MIDI source to attempt to send any MIDI data to the GCX?

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

JohnClark wrote:The Active LED on the GCX should flash whenever there is MIDI data hitting the MIDI In... do you have any other MIDI source to attempt to send any MIDI data to the GCX?
Can I try with a keyboard (midi Out Yamaha DX7 > to midi In GCX)...?

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

LFilippi63 wrote:
JohnClark wrote:The Active LED on the GCX should flash whenever there is MIDI data hitting the MIDI In... do you have any other MIDI source to attempt to send any MIDI data to the GCX?
I tried with keyboard (Yamaha DX7 > to GCX) and it works, the Active led flashing...!

What could be the problem? GCP ...and then also GP (no pro) doesn't send correct midi data??? :/

Many many thanks!
Luca

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

Hi,
after trial and error I finally solved!
The mistake was in the pin 3 which was grounded with pin 2: the cable is short-circuited somewhere :/
I bought a new cable, now I'm happy.

Thank you so much for the courtesy and helpfulness ! ! !

ciao.
Luca

LFilippi63 wrote:
LFilippi63 wrote:
I tried with keyboard (Yamaha DX7 > to GCX) and it works, the Active led flashing...!

What could be the problem? GCP ...and then also GP (no pro) doesn't send correct midi data??? :/

Many many thanks!
Luca

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Right on!