Selectable buffer on GCX?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Meanoldfireman

Selectable buffer on GCX?

Post by Meanoldfireman »

Is there a way to patch the buffer into loop 1 so I can take it out of circuit when I use my fuzz?

effitall

Re: Selectable buffer on GCX?

Post by effitall »

I think this will work...

Guitar plugs directly into loop 1 in.
Loop 1 send, plugs into the front panel Guitar In (this goes to the buffer)
Loop 1 return plugs into the rear panel Guitar Out (this is the output of the buffer)
Loop 1 out plugs into Loop 2 in.

Loop 2 send/return connects to your fuzz.

When loop 1 is active, your guitar goes through the buffer, otherwise it passes to loop 2 which would be your fuzz. To have your guitar bypass the buffer and go to the fuzz, set loop 1 off and loop 2 on.

You only have one feed-through on the GCX, so if you want to plug your guitar into the front of the rack, you need to use the feed-through on the GCX, but then you also need a feed-through to get from Loop 1 send to the front of the GCX to get to the Guitar In.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

That would work just fine!

If you don't want to use up a loop, you could just patch the buffer in after the Loop with the Fuzz... unless you have some other need to completely remove the buffer.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

effitall

Post by effitall »

JohnClark wrote:If you don't want to use up a loop, you could just patch the buffer in after the Loop with the Fuzz... unless you have some other need to completely remove the buffer.
Ahhh...So Guitar into Loop 1 in, fuzz in the loop, then Loop 1 out to Guitar In on the front of the GCX. Guitar out of the GCX to Loop 2 in.

So now the fuzz is on a loop, and everything after the fuzz is buffered.

There you go...Two ways to skin that cat.

Meanoldfireman

Post by Meanoldfireman »

Both of those would work.

Related question: the normaling of the jacks, they're switched at the front? That is, the rear jacks are in parallel until something gets plugged it the front "feed though"? I'd like to feed the buffer from the rear...output of loop 1 (fuzz) to the rear feedthrough, jumper from front feed through to buffer in, output of buffer to input of loop 2?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Correct about the normalling... the front panel Guitar In will feed to both the rear panel Guitar Out and Feedthru if nothing is connected to the front panel Feedthru. Plugging a cable into the front panel Feedthru breaks this normalling making the Feedthru a way to pass signal either direction.

Your connections will be as follows...

1. Out of your guitar to the In of Loop 1.
2. Your Fuzz in the Send and Return of Loop 1.
3. The Out of Loop 1 to the rear panel Feedthru.
4. The front panel Feedthru to the Guitar In.
5. The Guitar Out to Loop 2 In.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Meanoldfireman

Post by Meanoldfireman »

That's what I was looking for. Thanks John.