200mA+ on output 5&6?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Michel

200mA+ on output 5&6?

Post by Michel »

Hello!
The PP2+ page (http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm) mentions that, with DIP Switch "ON", outputs 5&6 deliver "14.4V/12V(unregulated), 50mA/200mA+".
I would like to know what stands that "+" for? (200mA+). Does it mean that it can deliver more than 200mA?
I'd like to power a 12V 250mA device. May I do it?
Thank you

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Re: 200mA+ on output 5&6?

Post by Josh Fiden »

This is a good question. Outputs 5 & 6 are rated for 250mA. When the DIP switch is away from the normal position, these are unregulated. That means the actual voltage will vary with current. The specification is telling you that at 50mA the output voltage will be around 14.4V. When the current exceeds 200mA the output voltage drops to around 12V. Your 12V@250mA device should work fine.

Thanks!
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

Michel

Post by Michel »

Thank you!
The 12V device I'd like to power is supposed to require 12V AC/DC according to the indications on the device itself, and 12V AC only according to the manual...
Let's say the manual is true and I take the risk to power it in DC on outputs 5 or 6; is there a risk to damage the PP2+ itself?

wharris

Post by wharris »

Josh, you were kind enough to answer my question about the T-Rex Viper pedal the other day. Not to beat a dead horse, but I just want to make sure I am thinking everything through (long time since my EE courses). If the Viper lists a current draw of 162mA @ 12V then the R of it's circuit is 0.074Ω. I understand that the output of 5 and 6 is unregulated, but the pedal itself will dictate that the output voltage to it (Viper) is 12V, right? I just don't want to damage the pedal circuit or not get the full effect. Thanks for your patience, and for being so available.

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

Michel wrote:The 12V device I'd like to power is supposed to require 12V AC/DC according to the indications on the device itself, and 12V AC only according to the manual... Let's say the manual is true and I take the risk to power it in DC on outputs 5 or 6; is there a risk to damage the PP2+ itself?
It's probably fine. What are you trying to power?

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

wharris wrote:Josh, you were kind enough to answer my question about the T-Rex Viper pedal the other day. Not to beat a dead horse, but I just want to make sure I am thinking everything through (long time since my EE courses). If the Viper lists a current draw of 162mA @ 12V then the R of it's circuit is 0.074Ω. I understand that the output of 5 and 6 is unregulated, but the pedal itself will dictate that the output voltage to it (Viper) is 12V, right? I just don't want to damage the pedal circuit or not get the full effect. Thanks for your patience, and for being so available.
A very long time... you're off by a factor of 1,000 and I'm not sure what you want to do with an equivalent resistive load value, aside from the fact that it is unlikely the pedal behaves anything like a resistive load. You can anticipate somewhere around 12.5V at 162mA. Since it is unregulated, you can also expect the actual output voltage to vary a little depending on your AC line voltage and what other loads are connected. It should be fine, please post your results!

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

wharris

Post by wharris »

I guess I get an F for not converting my mA! Thanks for the help. I'll let you know. Worst case scenario, I plug into the auxiliary outlet.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Josh Fiden wrote:
Michel wrote:The 12V device I'd like to power is supposed to require 12V AC/DC according to the indications on the device itself, and 12V AC only according to the manual... Let's say the manual is true and I take the risk to power it in DC on outputs 5 or 6; is there a risk to damage the PP2+ itself?
It's probably fine. What are you trying to power?
A UHF wireless system receiver. DB Technologies PU910R. It uses 12V AC for sure, but it is unclear to me if it can also use 12V DC.
By the way, is there an easy and simple piece of equipment available to tranform the 12V DC output of the PP2+ into 12 AC?

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

Michel wrote:A UHF wireless system receiver. DB Technologies PU910R. It uses 12V AC for sure, but it is unclear to me if it can also use 12V DC.
By the way, is there an easy and simple piece of equipment available to tranform the 12V DC output of the PP2+ into 12 AC?
Sorry, I don't have any specific info on the PU910R receiver. A device converting from DC back to AC is called an inverter. I'm not aware of any inverters appropriate for this type of application. You'd be better off determining if it can be powered from DC, or getting a 12VAC supply.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Thank you very much Josh.

(btw, I just got confirmation from the tech dpt at DB Technologies that the 910R also accepts 12V DC. Great!).

Josh Fiden wrote:
Michel wrote:A UHF wireless system receiver. DB Technologies PU910R. It uses 12V AC for sure, but it is unclear to me if it can also use 12V DC.
Sorry, I don't have any specific info on the PU910R receiver. A device converting from DC back to AC is called an inverter. I'm not aware of any inverters appropriate for this type of application. You'd be better off determining if it can be powered from DC, or getting a 12VAC supply.