Anybody ever use Lava solderless cable?

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
Kev5150

Anybody ever use Lava solderless cable?

Post by Kev5150 »

Just curious, I read some stuff online but the reviews we're kind of old so I figured I'd ask here.

wharris

Re: Anybody ever use Lava solderless cable?

Post by wharris »

I did my entire board with them. Very easy and quick to do, every cable worked first time through. Happy with the sound and reliability.

RectoStudioDude

Post by RectoStudioDude »

Solderless will work yes, but in my experience in both the music industry as well as electrical engineering/design you can't beat a soldered connection. IMHO (but shared by many)
Comps, EQ's, & O/D's
Studio Pre
Recto Pre
G-major
482i
2-Fifty

Desperado

Post by Desperado »

George L's aren't great cables. They have low capacitance (which is good) I think they are spec'd at 22 pF/ft. The problem is that they are solderless, and the connections are very poor. They are a lot more reliable and usable if you use some Neutrik, G&H, or Switchcraft ends that are soldered. I would also recommend switching to a cable like Mogami 2319 or 2524. They are both much better cables than the George L's and if you buy them in bulk they are cheaper as well.

~Mason
VERTEX EFFECTS SYSTEMS
Custom Pedalboard Design
WEB: http://www.vertexeffectsystems.com
EMAIL: info@vertexeffectsystems.com

ninzanstudio

Post by ninzanstudio »

Nothing beats a properly soldered connection, but I highly recommend the Lava Cable solderless plugs with the miniELC cable. I use them on my PT Mini builds and can easily say 1. the cable is small and very flexible so its perfect for routing tight spots, and 2. the right angle solder-free plug is very low profile (more so than the George Ls) so you can get pedals very tightly together. Highly recommend! I'm not just saying that because I sell them, but because I use them as well!

daviseley

Post by daviseley »

Hi Kev, I am in progress on a pedalboard build right now, but haven't gotten to the wiring stage yet. I will be using a LAVA miniELC Kit with all right angle ends.

While I 100% agree with the guys who posted that soldered cables are best, the particular design constraints of this current project required the use of the LAVA solution. Everything was incredibly tight, and those right-angle LAVA plugs are fortunately incredibly tiny so it all fit!

Should be done this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

David Iseley

RocknFree

Post by RocknFree »

So guys, if you want to make your own soldered cables and right angle ends, what brand should you go with? Also if you want to make custom cables to go to the switching loops and back?

Suggestions?

ninzanstudio

Post by ninzanstudio »

RocknFree wrote:So guys, if you want to make your own soldered cables and right angle ends, what brand should you go with? Also if you want to make custom cables to go to the switching loops and back?

Suggestions?
If space is tight, I go with the pancake style flat plugs (Hosa, Switchcraft, GHS, etc). If space is not a problem, I generally use the G&H nickel right angle connectors.

Xavier