GCP V2 Beta EEprom

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
bettsaj

Re: GCP V2 Beta EEprom

Post by bettsaj »

I already have the EEprom chip, but haven't fit it yet as i haven't acquired a 2nd GCP. However, i'm now feeling that I'm running out of buttons for IA and really need at least 10 if not 12 to enable me to turn on/off effects on my G-Force plus all the pedals on my GCX.

Firstly, how does the 2nd GCP get power? Does it run on phantom power via the midi cable from the first GCP, or have I got to power it from a wall wart?

Secondly, do both GCP's need the EEprom chip or does it just need to be in the master GCP?

My intention is to purchase a 2nd GCP, and utilise one for presets and IA, and the second GCP for just IA... Or maybe one for presets, and the other for IA.... I'm not 100% sure I will finally do it so I'm open to ideas.

I've been looking at changing the controller over to an Axess Midi Controller but obviously the support for those is non-existent now as the company went bust. The other option was a CAE RT-16, but they're far too rich for my poor pockets, so I'm now seriously considering a second GCP. The only drawback with that is the size of the footprint on stage, my pedal board is already 1m x 0.5m in size, so I'll be effectively increasing it in length by a further 12" or so. But I suppose that's my problem :lol:
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

If just getting the all IA mode is what you want then only the one v2BETA chip will be needed. A v2BETA Ground Control Pro in All Instant Access mode will respond to MIDI Program Changes from any MIDI Controller.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj »

What about power John

So the chip is only required in the 2nd GCP... I can keep my current GCP as my main controller?
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi bettsaj,
I’m running 2 GCPros, I use a Pedal Power AC to power the GCX, which in turn powers both GCPros. I ran jumper wires from the out midi plug to the in midi plug, on the first GCPro to supply power the second GCPro. It has worked fine for the last couple of years.
When I first did it, John said I might have had trouble with the Pedal Power not being able to supply enough current when all relays on the GCX’s were selected, I had 2 GCX’s in the mix then. It worked fine, even with 2 GCX’s. John has said that the Pedal Power 2+ doesn’t supply enough current but the Pedal Power AC does, so I don’t know what you power your GCX with, you may need to get a Pedal Power AC.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi there,
I had the GCPro’s the wrong way around to, the GCPro that is set to preset mode, needs to go first, followed by the GCPro set to IA. The GCPro that is set to IA is the one you need to modify the midi power on the plugs internally to. Hope that helps🤷‍♂️.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

Hi there,
I have 2 GCPs both with V2 beta Eprom.
The first GCP is set to 10 presets linked from midi out to midi in to the second GCP set to IA 12 which send midi out to GCX (as suggested in Matt's post > Thanks Matt!)
The problem is that they don't seem to talk to each other and, moreover, there is no MIDI channel change on external devices such as Eclipse, TC D-Two or other stompbox like as TimeFactor, Space and so on.
Now my doubt that is my question: are there any particular settings in this new V2 firmware of the GCP that must be set?

These are the parameters of which I don't know the function:
I/O Echo
IAX

Thank you in advance who will give me some help.

Cheers
Luca

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

LFilippi63 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 pm
Hi there,
I have 2 GCPs both with V2 beta Eprom.
The first GCP is set to 10 presets linked from midi out to midi in to the second GCP set to IA 12 which send midi out to GCX (as suggested in Matt's post > Thanks Matt!)
The problem is that they don't seem to talk to each other and, moreover, there is no MIDI channel change on external devices such as Eclipse, TC D-Two or other stompbox like as TimeFactor, Space and so on.
Now my doubt that is my question: are there any particular settings in this new V2 firmware of the GCP that must be set?

These are the parameters of which I don't know the function:
I/O Echo
IAX

Thank you in advance who will give me some help.

Cheers
Luca
Sorry for the delayed reply!

There is no special setup required when combining two v2 Ground Control Pro units this way other than the changes the IA Mode Ground Control Pro will set for itself when switching to IA Mode. For instance, "I/O Echo" is normally defaulted to OFF, but when you set the second unit to use the IA Mode, it will set itself to have I/O Echo On... and you should leave it that way on the IA Mode unit ;)

I/O Echo is kind of like enabling a MIDI Thru where any MIDI Data seen at the MIDI In will be echoed to the MIDI Out. This is a must for the IA Mode Ground Control Pro so it lets the MIDI Data from the Preset unit pass thru to the next device. I'll assume this got turned off on your IA Mode Ground Control Pro and that is most likely the reason your other devices are not responding.

IAX should remain OFF at all times. It was intended for use with a device we never actually made.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

LFilippi63

Post by LFilippi63 »

Thanks John, your informations are always useful!

fretwhizzy

Post by fretwhizzy »

With the V2 beta chip installed I understand you can set it up so you've got access to 2 banks of 12 IA. This is interesting indeed!

How do you swap between the two IA banks?
[Edit: that has to be the bank up and down buttons surely? I didn't have unit in front of me as I wrote! :)) ]

Can the GCP with V2 beta still be set up to act like the normal 10preset/4preset+8IA modes?

Thanks!