Can Any Kind Soul Make me a Diagram

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Geoff101

Can Any Kind Soul Make me a Diagram

Post by Geoff101 »

Im wanting to try a Stero setup in my pink floyd rig.

So here is the item list of what I currently have
1 GCP
2x GCX
Boss CS-2
Demeter Comp
Rams Head Big Muff
Civil War Big Muff
BK Butler Tube Driver
BK/Chandler Tube Driver
2 Boss GE-7s

Alembic F2b Stereo Pre Amp

MXR Uni-Vibe
Boss CE-2
TC Electronics Nova Delay 1

2 Hiwatt DR 103's

Going to have my preamps in my hiwatts bypassed for the alembic F2B
Last edited by Geoff101 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnClark

Re: Can Any Kind Sould Make me a Diagram

Post by JohnClark »

For this setup only the CE-2 and Nova Delay will be truly stereo. Everything up to the input of the CE-2 will be Mono.
For the F-2B, will you use only one channel, will you switch between the two channels, or do you do the cascade thing where you feed Channel A into Channel B?
Do your Hiwatt's have an effects loop added or something... how are you bypassing the preamp sections?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Geoff101

Post by Geoff101 »

Well from a lot of the reporting on his pulse rig, it seems he went from his comps to distortions to ge7s and a ce2 to Alembic to the volume pedals then into the guitar then back to the delays. He also had a second chorus CE-2 after the alembic preamp and delays going into the left channel, the to the amps... now this just what i've seen so far from the major reading i've been doing. So im thinking ill have to add another CE at the end of the chain

Im going to have my guitar tech bypass the preamps so that just the presence and master volume is used.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Sorry for the delay here. I admit i fell into a bit of a rabbit hole reading up on the Pulse Rig. ;)

Here are diagrams for both GCXs running everything in the order as you've listed them.
Geoff101 Rig-1.jpg
Geoff101 Rig-2.jpg
GCX #1 is pretty straight forward with eight pedals wired in series routed to the front of the FB-2 preamp. I wasn't quite sure about the GE-7s since the rig you are after had them all over the place as well as that they were all modded. I think here you will likely be switching between one or the other or none rather than both on at once. ...but please experiment and let your ears decide what sounds right!
GCX #2 has the effects after the FB-2 preamp with the Stereo split starting at the CE-2. You will want to use a Y-Cable (all three ends MONO) from the Out of Loop 1 to the In of both Loops 2 and 6. This will still drive both inputs of the Nova Delay or both power amp sections when the CE-2 is bypassed. Loops 2 & 6 and Loops 3 & 7 should be switched together to switch the stereo effects.

I hope that helps!

Geoff101

Post by Geoff101 »

WOW thanks for the amazing job on this. I'm pretty sure this is gonna work.

The only issue i see is the Boss CE-2 doesn't have a stereo output so I'm thinking i could just add a second CE-2 to the number 6 slot on the GCX #2 ??

JohnClark

Re: Can Any Kind Soul Make me a Diagram

Post by JohnClark »

Wow, I must be slipping! :oops:

The only change would be to use the Y-Cable from the Out of Loop 2 on GCX #2 and connect it to the In of Loops 3 and 7. The Out of Loop 1 to the In of Loop 2 will be a standard Mono cable.

I hope that helps!

Geoff101

Post by Geoff101 »

Could I still use a second Boss CE-2?

Also what patch cables need to be stereo? Does the Y cable need to be?

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl »

Geoff101 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 pm
Could I still use a second Boss CE-2?

Also what patch cables need to be stereo? Does the Y cable need to be?
Instead of adding a second CE-2, you might want to consider replacing your existing CE-2 with a stereo unit such as the CE-5 or the CE-2W, etc. That way you're only swapping out the pedal and the wiring won't change.

As it stands, it looks like none of your patch cables need to be stereo. Just make sure the Y-cable you use is, as John wrote, a true Y-cable (3 TS Mono plugs) and not an Insert Cable (1 TRS Stereo plug that breaks out to a pair of TS Mono plugs).
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Yea, this setup uses only mono cables throughout.

About the two choruses... sure you could use two but it isn't exactly going to make it stereo. A single chorus in front of the Y split will still provide a chorused sound out both amps in case that was not clear. In fact, this setup as drawn will have all sound coming from both amps at all times in a "dual mono" configuration, its just the Nova Delay that will be true stereo in that it could send delay repeats that alternate left and right for a ping-pong delay.

However, potentially more interesting is that running two mono chorus units with one on each side may produce an unexpected effect in the room since they are not working together to pan the signal back and forth evenly. I would assume that getting the speed set the same on both sides might be a little difficult, but then I'd probably try it out just to purposely set them to different speeds.

Let us know what you decide!

Geoff101

Post by Geoff101 »

I will and again thanks for all the information.

The Boss CE-2 is hard to just replace. The older components and MIJ version just dont sound like anything today :P

Also john where do you think the best place for a volume pedal would be?